Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmd_gw

Acer shirasawanum Moonrise

jimmd
17 years ago

I was at a local nursery today looking for some late season deals and I came across an Acer Shirasawanum 'Moonrise'. I have never heard of the Moonrise cultivator and after googling it I came up empty. Does anyone know any thing about this cultivator? I wanted to find out before I spend the money on it.

Comments (24)

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

I would be suspicious...not even evalds lists this alledged cultivar...I would NEVER go for a tree that isn't listed anywhere at least no where i could find it ...it may exist or just be someones name made up for a seedling ( if not grafted) or just somehow mistaged. With SO many other named cultivars out there with "history" why take a chance on something that is either not real or little known with no track record or any info whatsoever about it ...but then it's your choice...David

• jimmd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did finally find something on this cultivator. It was listed in Longwood Gardens 2006 Rare Plant Auction. The description is as follows:

Acer shirasawanum Moonrise (Munn 001PAF)
    Carl Munn knew he had something special when he spotted this chance seedling at his Oregon nursery 18 years ago. After many years observing its outstanding coloration
    and vigor, he now knows that Moonrise eclipses all others in the species heavens. New growth emerges carmine red. The leaves cup down, then open and spread out as
    they turn to gold, mottled with orange and red. Amazingly, it grows at ten times the rate of ÂAureum and withstands full sun with very little leaf scorch. Mature color is
    chartreuse, and bark is light tan with white striations in younger growth. Growing 12 to 15 feet with a similar spread, it wants to be a multi-trunked, low-branching tree.
    Newly patented, Moonrise passes MunnÂs muster as one outstanding plant. This is the first to come east.
    Donated by Jack Lowr

Would this change you mind? Would the Longwood Gardens connection give it some credibility? It was listed under the section for "Jumping the Gun, plants that were going to see realease in 2007". I am trying to justify it to myself but still unsure. They have at least 10 of them and they are all B&B about 6ft tall and have very nice branching structure but have been sitting around the nursery for a few months. They are grafted and at 50% off, it would be about $200. Maybe to good to pass up even with the uncertinty but I do have a nice spot that needs a new tree. What do you think??

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I saw the same listing. Munn's is a very respected Oregon grower - we bring in a lot of JM's from them at my nursery and they are fine trees, well grown and correctly labeled. And it is patented, just not in commercial production yet. How your nursery got hold of some is a bit of mystery, as they are not yet in full release or included their 2006/2007 catalog. Perhaps an onsite visit by your nursery's buyer - that's most often the way to pick up unusual items that are not widely available.

I'd say go for it. A 6' shirasawanum is not an inexpensive tree anyway you look at it (although at that growth rate, that could change) and 'Moonrise' sounds like a very handsome example. Did you have a chance to see it in leaf, perhaps with fall color?

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

It looks legit...although I couldn't find much on Munn maybe someone here knows more than I which is VERY LITTLE on west coast nurseries...and Munn in particular.Does sound interesting but still a little leary ...if you gots the $$$ and it's not the ONLY JM you have room to plant or want to plant then I'd say go for it ... If you are just looking for one or two specimen Jm's I would likely pass due to newness and lack of verifiable info with so many other Jm's with long paper trails and good cultural info...David

• jimmd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Unfortunately I did not see it in leaf or fall color. I am thinking of putting it in a large planter on my deck. The planter is 3'X 3'X 3'. I am going to move the maple I have in it now out to a location in garden, as it is starting to get a little big for the planter. Do Acer shirasawanum do well in planters?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I grow both 'Aureum' and 'Autumn Moon' in containers and they do fine. Neither were very large when planted and a number of years later, neither are as large as the 'Moonrise' you're considering. However, even with it's supposedly fast rate of growth, it should be happy in a 3'x3'x3' planter for some time. I'd also be interested in it's supposed increased sun tolerance - even in my mild sun climate, scorching is always a concern.

Be sure to give us feedback and I'm going to look into bringing some of these in to the nursery.

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

Hey gardengal re this:

"I'd also be interested in it's supposed [purported] increased sun tolerance - even in my mild sun climate, scorching is always a concern."

I was thinking about ordering a small Autumn Moon for a full sun spot in my yard that gets shade late in the afternoon. Mine is not a mild sun climate (south central Texas). Do you think it's a bad idea? In your opinion is there a maple other than truncatum that tolerates heat and humidity. Im tired of oak trees and looking for some cool deciduous stuff to balance out my new small conifers.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

If it's patented and you get the patent number you can probably search USPTO web site and get patent application description. These often give more background (including origination and development of the "invention") and other details than most books will have.

• krautz33
    17 years ago

Hey what nursery? i live in SE Pa and was wondering how far from me is this nursery. I collect rare maples. The tree is a legitamate cultivar. Good deal, grab one. Tree value is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, buy it. But without seeing the leaves you are always taking a chance.

Good Luck

• jimmd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is Riverhill Garden Center in Clarksville, Maryland. I also found out today that the 50% sale is over since it was only for Veterans Day Weekend. The person I spoke with did not know if any sales were upcoming.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Hey jimmd - did you purchase one?

Dax

• jimmd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, the sale was over before I went back to buy it and they said that the maples were not going to be on sale the rest of the fall. "we'll see". If I have to pay full price, I decided to wait till spring and see what the leaves are like for myself. They had about 10 of them, so i doubt they will all be sold by next spring. I'll take my chances and wait to see how they look leafed out. I'll keep you posted if one does find its way to my house.

• conifers
    17 years ago

I appreciate it. I actually tried to track one down for shipping to Illinois. No luck.

If you do buy one. Please let me know. I'd be happy to trade you a couple (small) grafted Maples or conifers for a couple pieces of wood from that cultivar.

Thanks,

Dax

• samuari
    17 years ago

where is the nursery located that has them for $200.00, does anyone know thanks,Paul

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

I found a nursery in the metro area that had fresh grafts (albeit in 2 gallon pots?) I had a relative pick one up for me. We will see how sun and heat tolernt it is.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Can I get a sprig from you Todd this summer? A tiny piece with 3 buds.

Dax

• dodsky
    15 years ago

This is years late (lol) but I thought I'd put this information out there just in case anyone is wondering where this cultivar can be purchased. A. shirasawanum "Moonrise" is available from Whitman Farms in OR. I've purchased from this nursery and the customer service and quality of their trees is top notch.

I'm curious if the reported higher heat tolerance for this cultivar is true? If anyone has some feedback I'd appreciate the input.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitman Farms

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

I just got one of these in from Whitman. Nice tree - a little greener than 'Aureum', and the leaves are more dissected. This is a 2 gallon plant, which costs $50. A bargain, as far as I'm concerned..

Regards,

K4 {{gwi:1050879}}Moonrise

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Dont get confused with the "full sun and heat" im sure that statement was made concerning in ground planting. Above ground in a pot i'd be careful. Some afternoon shade wouldnt hurt!
    AL

• tjchermack
    15 years ago

I just ordered and received a "moonrise" from Eastwoods Nurseries. It is currently in a container as for whatever reason took a full week to arrive, and had some browning on the tips of the leaves. I'm trying to nurse it a little this fall before dormancy. Anyhow, I have a nice spot in full sun where I plan to put it, but will try it out in that spot in the container to check sun tolerance. I'll be able to provide information next summer unfortunately, but wanted to let you all know that this tree seems to be available.
    Tom

• botann
    15 years ago

Acer shirasawanum is not noted for Fall color. 'Moonrise' would have to pass the Fall color test in order for me to buy one. Blah Fall color in the middle of real nice color would ruin the picture.

• tjchermack
    15 years ago

I will keep you posted on the fall colors. Pics coming soon...

• herman_neutics
    15 years ago

I don't grow 'Moonrise' but wanted to speak up for fall coloring on a shirasawanum.

A.S. 'Palmatifolium' has reliably excellent and sometimes obscene autumn coloration.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Palmatifolium'

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

I'm not sure I would dismiss all shirasawanums into the category of "blah" fall color. I've see some pretty stunning examples, frankly. Until I've grown it myself in my own climate, soil, etc. I hate to pass judgement on a plant that in all other ways has stunning qualities. Its a bit like deciding if you like a movie based on the opinions of your neighbor...

K4