Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coral Bark lost leaves in 1 day??

Posted by ladyj08 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 6, 08 at 21:26

I bought a coral bark Japanese Maple about 1 month ago and transplanted into the ground- amended the soil with topsoil. I have watered it every other day and it was doing great- even some new growth.

Yesterday I watered the Maple more than usual-(due to my 3 year old son helping) and today when I came home my maple has almost lost all of the leaves. The leaves have curled up and just fall off. There are some new growth leaves closer to the trunk that still look healthy but the remaining leaves have completely curled up and either have fallen off or about to.

Today was a little warmer than the past few weeks. The japanese maple gets morning sun. Please help- this is my first maple!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coral Bark lost leaves in 1 day??

Too much water would be my guess. Unless it is real hot where you live, once a week is plenty, even for a newly planted tree.
Better to water deeply once a week than to simply water some every other day. Then again, this is the time of year the leaves fall off naturally. The browning of leaf tips & curling of leaves though does sometimes indicate too much water. Excessively hot temps can also curl the leaves.
I believe the tree will be fine and will leaf out next Spring so, no worries. Some nice compost worked gently and shallowly into the soil around your tree next Spring is beneficial. This is often done instead of fertilization. Good luck.

o
RE: Coral Bark lost leaves in 1 day??

My neighbors' decades old coral bark maples lost their leaves all in one day this year. We've had somewhat unusual weather in the NW - the leaves stayed on longer and then when they went it was whoosh and gone.

I re-potted a small JM a few days ago and all the leaves fell off in the process. They were just ready to go.

so I guess I am saying, maybe it was just the timing and not really a problem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here