Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dull sugar maple

Posted by kjskjs VA zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 21:47

I have a young sugar maple (about 3-4 years old, or 2 inch trunk diameter). It has always given what I would call a rather bland, blah yellow to brown fall color in fall. I bought the tree from the National Arbor foundation. What I really wanted was a very bright yellow orange with hints of red color-just like the pictures on some of the recent posts. Do you think there is any hope of the tree getting more brilliant with time or would I be happier replanting a variety from a reputable nursery.

The tree is very healthy and I believe my soil is fine but I'm not impressed with the fall colors at all. (it is consistent year to year).
Thanks,
Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dull sugar maple

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 15:36

Coming from them it would probably be a seedling - a plant raised from seed. Maybe you got a lemon. Best bet might be to buy a replacement in fall, from a local outlet so you can see for sure that it is one capable of coloring well in your vicinity.

o

Fall color on maples trees is evident even in tiny seedlings. If it looks dull now, it will probably look like that forever. I would get rid of it and find a nice named cultivar with dependable color.

K4

o

OK Thanks for the info. I just ordered a "Green Mountain" from Forest Farm. I'll see how this looks next fall.

o

Did Forrest Farm ship it out this fall or they waiting until the spring? I've had EXCELLENT luck ordering from them and they have a great selection.

I think of tree buying as being kinda like dog buying. If you want a tree or dog that's going to do something exactly then buying that named cultivar or will be best. Mutts can be healthier than purebreds in many cases to, so nothing wrong with them.

o

Yes, Forest Farm shipped in fall (November). Trees arrived healthy and nicely packaged.
I like mutts too but I'm really after a beautiful bright orange/yellow color. It's amazing how colors differ so much between different sugar maples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here