Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah80_gw

neutral soil, am I screwed?

Sarah80
11 years ago

Due to my husbands job transfer, we just moved from the Pittsburgh, PA area to Columbus, OH.

I just got the results back from my soil test and was shocked and concerned. I assumed that, due to a similar climate, my soil here in Central Ohio would have a similar acidity to our old house in PA.

I WAS WRONG!! Despite the bad rap, I loved my acid soil in PA, pH 5.0, hat grew everything I liked from Azaleas to Maples and Conifers.

What can I grow in this neutral clay, pH 7.0? It seems like all my favorites are out that like acid soil -- maples, most oaks, azaleas, most conifers...what do you grow in a soil and climate like mine?

Since this is the Maple board, specifically which maples are good for a heavy, but still reasonably well drained and fertile, neutral soil in zone 5b?

Comments (7)

• Cher
    11 years ago

Sarah I'm just a little South of you and 6.8 neutral. Ohio is the clay state, but our soil really isn't that bad. The Azaleas and Rhodies don't do for me, but Hollies are fine, and no problems with any Maples. I have a few Japanese Maples and a Paperbark Maple. They all do great. I know Oaks are planted all around Ohio although I don't have one personally. Hydrandea Paniculata and Oakleafs I can say do great here also.
    Cher

• hairmetal4ever
    11 years ago

I have always lived in areas with acid soil - MD now and I used to live in Akron, but NE Ohio has more acidic soil than further west.

That said, from other posts I've seen and even time I spent there, I think most of the plants except the true acid lovers like azalea, rhodies, etc will be OK.

FWIW though, as far as large maples, the Freeman maple does a little better than Red maple in neutral soils, but you have to pay a bit more attention to pruning for a good branch structure, since it has a Silver maple parent.

Most Asian and European maples as a whole are more alkaline tolerant, and Sugar maple moreso than Red as well, IIRC.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Did you post this in three forums and not respond to any of them?lol?

• Sarah80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I responded - sorry!!

Do black maples perform better than Sugar?

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Big Tooth Maples grow down here in slightly alkaline soil.

Not sure their hardiness zone so you may want to check on it. They have beautiful leaf color in the fall.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

My old house st on limestone rubbles which means high pH but it didn't bother my shantung maples much. They literally thrived. I was growing compact green JM that I grew from seed. It seemed to do fine except too much sun late in the summer. Just have to make sure water drains away so there's no water standing around JMs.

You can build raised bed with acidic soil for azaleas if you can afford it.

• thedarkness
    11 years ago

try a silver, they grow nice in illinois

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus