Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbandk_gw

JM seedlings indoors

urbandk
14 years ago

I bought some JM seeds on ebay in july. Not really knowing what I was doing, i followed some instructions about cold stratification,and got them in the fridge.

About a week ago, i checked, and almost all of them were germinating.

So i got them in some pots and put them outsicxde. They still havent put out their true leaves yet, and i know they are not going to make it thru winter with out help.

I know the drawbacks and problems of trying to grow these indoors. But i do want to try.. even if it ends in failure. I have space in the basement where i can set up a grow light system, humidifier, fans, and try my best to recreate a more hospitable environment.

But the question here is looking at LED grow lights - most of it consists of 92% red , and 8 % blue LEDS. But since these seedlings are of the red variety, wouldnt that mean, its reflecting all the red light? what colored light do they need?

i can alwayss just use flourscents but wanted to add some supplemental light.

also any advice on trying to grow japanese maple seedlings indoors at least for the winter would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, they are set up in 1/8 gallon grow bags and under a cold frame outdoors. With the weather we are having - 65 degree days and 45 degree nights - i can keep it out for a while. But if Pittsburgh weather being the way it is, we might actually have some frosty nights in dec...

Comments (2)