Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iforgotitsonevermind

Need some quick help choosing a JM with these specs...

I'm looking for a vigorous grower, tree form. Mature height around 15'.

OK, that's the easy part.

But I want the reddish colored leaves for at least spring, if not all season long. And I'd prefer intense fall color.

The number of lobes isn't all that important. But added heat tolerance would be a strong selling point

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Acer palmatum 'Fireglow'. Very popular selection for warmer, southern gardens and fits the rest of your specs.

'Moonfire' is an alternate selection but will get somewhat larger with time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer palmatum 'Fireglow'

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. Do you know how it compares to emperor I?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

'Emperor One' should be quite similar to either of the above although there are some reports of it "greening out" in the heat of summer. Personally, I find the coloring of 'Fireglow' a bit more intense and glowing but it all comes down to a matter of opinion :-) And which you can easily find at the location and size you want.

• deep___roots
    14 years ago

Sherwood Flame. Got the usual red/purple leaves, then in Fall turns a really really beautiful strong red.
    Don't know if it likes heat. Mine is in a shaded position, but no other red I have matches it for Fall color.
    Can't remember where I got the tree or how available it might be.

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

I was looking for the same thing (specs + zone 5 hardy)...I thought Emperor I was the choice selection for holding its color.

I ended up leaning towards a Korean Maple but still considering a red colored JM.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I had ordered before deeproots replied but it was a tough decision. I added Fireglow to my cart then really struggled with the choice of that or Emperor 1. That morning I saw some emperor 1's at a local nsy that were as intense as I could hope for. (Only too big and expensive) It also looks like I had a little more room than originally thought and supposedly the Emperor 1's grow a little bit faster. So I took the fireglow out of my cart and replaced it with Emperor 1. I really wanted to go with something more unique but it should do the trick.

One of my neighbs has a Japanese maple growing in full sun and it seems to do ok and this one would be in a protected location so I think it'll be OK heat-wise.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The more deeply cut leaves of E1 was also helped with the decision.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

I would recommend fireglow. Plant it between your window and the setting sun for an incredible show.

• suel41452
    14 years ago

My Boskoop Glory has intense fall color, and leaves emerge red in spring if I remember correctly.
    It faces west in my front lawn and does very well in the brutal summer full sun. The leaves green up quite a bit by August due to the strong sun, but the fall color is exactly what I wanted - blazing red-orange!!

• iforgotitsonevermind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the continued replies however this is an old post and have selected and planted the tree already.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH