Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Laid Plans-next best time to move

Posted by gigim 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 12:07

I think I have missed the best time to move my JM now that we are at the end of December. I live in Zone 8A. When is the next "best time" to move to a better location? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Laid Plans-next best time to move

Where in zone 8 are you?
If it were my Zone 8 here near Seattle, I'd move it now.
I guess if you were in Zone 8 Texas, you could move it now also.
Japanese Maples are tougher than they first appear.
Mike

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 15:17

Yes: here the transplanting window for an established specimen (where lots of roots were going to be cut back) would be November through about February, with a later move being possible if the top still wasn't doing much yet.

If you just put this one in, so that you could still pop it out with most of the roots coming with it you probably have from now until it buds out in spring.

o

Meant to answer your personal email question but you do not have an email contact through GW!! You might want to change that if you do attempt email contacts :-)

Previous answers are good - any time the tree is dormant and the ground workable (not frozen or overly saturated) is a fine time to move/transplant. In my area (actually same as the two above), JM's do not emerge from dormancy until well into March. I'd say you have several months still to accomplish your move :-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here