Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

phyton-27

paul3636
18 years ago

I sent out the following email and was told to use Phyton 27. Has any one tried it and what can you tell me about it?

>Late summer and early fall my Red Pygmy's leaves dried out

on the top

>and then the drying progressed downward. The few leaves

that survived on

>the bottom were beautiful.

>Is this a watering problem or a fungus of some type, maybe

a wilt?

>If you have head this problem or seen this problem before,

please advise

>me of what can be done if any thing.

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Not enough information to be making pesticide recommendations. They were assuming this material would probably take care of it. That's fine if that's true, as far as you are concerned. If not, then you will have wasted your time and money.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What information is needed to make recommendatons? Is phyton a pesticide or a fungicide?

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Your brief description does not make reliable identification of the problem possible. Some plant disease conditions even have to be tested for to be nailed with certainty, same as a medical condition. The answer you got was based on an assumption, not a diagnosis.

• mjh1676
    18 years ago

Phyton 27 is a water soluable copper fungicide and bacteriacide.

I agree that the symptoms you describle are inconclusive as to the cause and to recommend Phyton is not a great solution. By the way, Phyon is very expensive, as all commercial grade plant chemicals are and I would not jump to using it without a more solid reason.

MJH

• xman
    18 years ago

Paul3636,

I did some research over the internet over the last couple of weeks regarding phyton 27. From what I found (and what they claim) from the different forums etc, phyton 27 seems to do a good job of preventing and curing verticillium in the early stages and a couple of other fungus infections.
    Their website has some articles on this. Like MJH mentioned the product is expensive $17 for 2oz bottle.
    So unless the problem is verticillium or one of the other 2 or 3 fungus infections, phyton 27 may not be helpful.

xman

Here is a link that might be useful: Phyton27 website

• paul3636
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is there an organic method of preventing fungus, if it is a fungus. I have other maples around the red pygmy and none of them have drying leaves, in fact they are all healthy.
    Paul

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

It is difficult to protect J. maples against possible fungal wilt/rot problems as the pathogens tend to be soil borne and in many cases, omnipresent. Perhaps the best way to protect them is to keep them as stress-free as possible - a stressed tree tends to be more susceptible to these problems while well grown/sited, healthy trees are most resistant to these pretty common soil pathogens.

My experience with phyton-27 is that it is most effective if used early in the treatment - well advanced wilt problems will not respond. Without seeing your tree and accurately diagnosing the problem, it is difficult to know if this product would be of benefit, but based on your description, I doubt it.

btw, "pesticide" is an umbrella term for various 'cides - fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, miticides, etc. are ALL considered pesticides.