Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf JM?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 11 at 14:10

I am for sure out of my depth when it comes to trees so I need your expertise. I am looking for a dwarf JM with a cascading form with reddish leaves (not so 'bronzey' and hopefully lighter than burgundy).

There will be perennials/annuals in the immediate vicinity.

Ideally I would like it to be less than 5 feet in height and hopefully closer to 4 feet. (Would this only be attainable by pruning?)

Are my 'conditions' too restrictive? Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf JM?

The vast majority of weeping/cascading Japanese maples tend to be of smaller or dwarfer stature than do upright forms. But that doesn't mean they can't achieve a decent size over time. What you want to look for is graft location and training. Both of these criteria will have significant bearing on how tall the tree will ultimately grow. Look for varieties that have low grafts and have not been excessively trained to grow vertically -- these will develop that weeping, cascading form at an early age and never attain significant height.

Some varieties for you to look for/consider: 'Garnet', 'Red Dragon', 'Tamukiyama', 'Inaba Shidare', 'Red Select', 'Crimson Queen'. Any of these can remain well within your heigh requirements with low graft and proper training but they can also get quite wide with time.

FWIW, you never want to prune a JM to maintain a specific height - you will ruin the form of the tree.

o
RE: dwarf JM?

Thank you for this detailed reply gardengal. I now have a starting point with regards to possible specific JMs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here