Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Is this OK for protection?

newgen
14 years ago

I have a 5-gallon Crimson Queen, still in the pot. I place it under a covered patio, minimal wind exposure. Outdoor temp has been mid 40s, but under the patio it's a few degrees higher. Is that enough protection for the winter?

Thanks,

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

No winter protection is required in your zone:-) In fact, I'd move the tree out into the weather so it can receive any natural rainfall (easier than remembering to water regularly). The only concern I'd have would be exposure to strong winds and that would be more focused on when in full leaf rather than dormant.

• newgen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. The trees still has the majority of its leaves, but I suppose they'll fall off any time now. I'll move it out into the open.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

Pam always gives good, and well-considered advice. In case you get any prolonged periods of rain, especially if your plants are in a peat-based or other heavy soil, you might want to consider setting the plant up off the ground & inserting a wick into the drain hole to help drain any excess water. Tilting your container(s) at a 45* angle also reduces considerably the volume of perched water they will hold when the soil is saturated.

Al