Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this OK for protection?

Posted by newgen 9 California (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 14:36

I have a 5-gallon Crimson Queen, still in the pot. I place it under a covered patio, minimal wind exposure. Outdoor temp has been mid 40s, but under the patio it's a few degrees higher. Is that enough protection for the winter?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this OK for protection?

No winter protection is required in your zone:-) In fact, I'd move the tree out into the weather so it can receive any natural rainfall (easier than remembering to water regularly). The only concern I'd have would be exposure to strong winds and that would be more focused on when in full leaf rather than dormant.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 California (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 19:10

Thanks for the advice. The trees still has the majority of its leaves, but I suppose they'll fall off any time now. I'll move it out into the open.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 19:34

Pam always gives good, and well-considered advice. In case you get any prolonged periods of rain, especially if your plants are in a peat-based or other heavy soil, you might want to consider setting the plant up off the ground & inserting a wick into the drain hole to help drain any excess water. Tilting your container(s) at a 45* angle also reduces considerably the volume of perched water they will hold when the soil is saturated.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here