Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying Maple trees

Posted by thedogsLL 6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 18:19

Hi, all. I've been trying to find out why my roses are not thriving, and one theory that has been posed is that the roots from a maple tree are affecting them. This tree was planted by the city somewhere around 16-17 years ago, and is growing between the sidewalk and curb on a semi urban lot. It's about 20' high. The rose bed is about 15' from the tree.

I'd like to ask how far from the tree roots could grow, but I think I need to identify the species first, right? I read some of the posts here, and learned enough to know I need to know more. So I went looking on the internet, and there are so many species, I'm not sure where to start. Is there an easy, or at least not complicated, way to identify which maple it might be? It might help to know I am just a few miles northeast of Boston, within about 1/2 mile of the coast.

Thanks for any guidance anyone might be able to offer.
LynnT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying Maple trees

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 21:05

You don't need to know what kind it is, if it is big enough to be suppressing your shrubs that is all you need to know. The most obvious hint is you go to dig where the shrubs are and you find solid mats of maple roots.

o
RE: Identifying Maple trees

That helps - Thanks! I never thought of that, duh. I just put in one of the roses in May 2013, and moved some lilies to a different bed, and there was no sign of tree roots anywhere. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here