Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scraggley unpruned japanese maple

Posted by jsanders420 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 18:55

I have become the proud owner of a 20 year old (ish) Japanese maple that has never seen a set of pruning shears. One stick going straight up 20+ ft. I am going to try to save it, the root system must be great, but I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking of just whacking it off about 5 feet up (above a limb)and taking good care of it. Is there any better way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scraggley unpruned japanese maple

please post pictures.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 3:09

Almost all ways are better than 'whacking' it off at five feet. You're proud of it, don't ruin it.
Yes, please post a picture.
Mike

o

Pruning is never a "requirement" with Japanese maples but rather an aesthetic choice. I know of many, many JM's that have never seen pruners (or so seldom that they wouldn't recognize them!) and most look just fine and are structurally sound as well.

As previously stated, a photo of the tree in question is essential before anyone can give appropriate advice. And as an aside, "whacking" and Japanese maples should never be used together in the same sentence :-) Of any type of ornamental tree, the correct pruning of JM's is an art rather than a science and a very delicate hand should be used at all times. Once it's off, you can't put it back!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here