Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a.s. aureum hardiness?

Posted by shadygrove z7 VA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 10 at 19:11

Holiday Greetings to All! I'm posting from central Virginia, where there is currently a light snowfall, and I have a young aureum outside braving the elements for its first year with me--it is potted in a clay pot on my deck and is now about eighteen inches to two feel tall. Considerable discussion between boyfriend and myself as to hardiness and when / if ever we should tote the plant into the garage. I would appreciate experience with hardiness. How cold must it be before I bring it in? Thank you very much, knowledgeable maple people.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a.s. aureum hardiness?

In the ground, no issue for you at all :-) However, growing a plant in a container poses entirely different issues. Because containered plants do not benefit from the insulating properties of that large soil mass surrounding their roots, they are much more vulnerable to winter cold. Above ground growth is actually more cold tolerant than the roots so you will want to protect your maple if the temperatures significantly drop below freezing for any length of time. Root damage can occur around 26F.

Either sink the container into the ground or store somewhere cold (but at or just above freezing) during cold spells. It certainly won't hurt the tree to remain in the garage (as long as you can monitor temps and assure it doesn't get TOO cold) throughout winter. Just keep the soil barely moist. Light is not a concern while dormant.

o
RE: a.s. aureum hardiness?

Gardengal, I thought I had posted a thank-you for your recommendation a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. Thanks for your thoughts--the pot is now sunken into the ground, which is a good thing, as Mother Earth has decided to get really cold here over the past couple days. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here