Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drcindy1

duct taping a broken branch?

17 years ago

I have a small Orangeola, maybe 24" tall, that my dog accidentally ran over/into the other day. He snapped off a major branch that's maybe 1/2" in caliper, which made me ill. I read somewhere recently that duct taping broken branches can be a solution. I did this yesterday, as securely as I could, and put big bamboo stakes around it so the dog doesn't accidentally run over it again. Has anyone tried this? I'm wondering how successful it is, and if not, any other suggestions are more than welcome. I've only had this tree since last spring and paid a good $50 for it. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• 17 years ago

If the branch was broken all the way off i really don't think it will work...if only partially broken it might although i have had mixed results "splinting" mine. I have never used duct tape ...I probably wouldn't for two reasons #1 it will be hard to remove and create a sticky mess and #2 it will not allow the branch to breath possibly creating a disese problem. I would suggest useing grafting tape or that brown paper tree wrap and tapeing the end to hold it or just use masking or white artist tape both paper type tapes...and as I said spliting it with a couple of tongue depressors or small dowels helps hold it in place. BUT if it's totally broken off I really think you are most likely waisting your time ...but as the saying goes "it can't hurt" david

• 17 years ago

Branch should have been still moist, with involved surfaces snugly joined and lined up well for likelihood of success to be high, same as with grafting.

• 17 years ago

The above "may " be true but time of year and conditions would have to be the same for successful grafting of which end of dec in wa is surely not...canbium layers would not only have to be fresh cut and lined up on both parts of broken limb and held tight...but also humidity and heat reqirements met for successful grafting/ in this case joining.Finally for an inexperienced person to have success their first time with ONE tree would be highly unlikely even under perfect conditions...David

• 17 years ago

I suspected that also, that timing probably not very good at all. Maybe some growers even use bench grafting for these, wherein the stocks are forced into early growth in a greenhouse before the still-leafless scions are put onto them.

• 17 years ago

Yes ..most folks feel the root stock or in this case the rooted part of the plant must be around 70 degrees for optimum grafting although i assumer lower temps will work...but not drastically!! Also there may be a problem with weakness in such a big join that could cause problems down the road ... Finally I assume there are plenty of other branches still on the tree ...thus making it harder to give enough energy for the broken main stem to grow...usually with grafting as soon as the graft or grafts "take" the root stock is topped so all energy goes to the new scion(s)which won't happen here severely hurting the healing process...All in all I stand by my assumption that results of this endevour will not be a "happy" one!!... David

• 2 years ago

I wrapped a broken Meyer lemon branch with Velcro tape and supported branch with bamboo supports. It is healing itself and even held the fruit. Would have used duck tape after reading this.