Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stargazer_1118

Need help w/starting a farm

stargazer_1118
16 years ago

My husband and I want to start a small farm on our 2 acre lot. We want to go organic . Do we need to formulate a business plan even if we don't want to take a bank loan? Would this help us focus on what we need to do? I have been veggie gardening on raised beds but now want to expand. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• kralen
    16 years ago

I think only you can answer this question. Take your situation and nature in stock and ask yourself if this will help or harm what you want to accomplish. For some people making a firm plan helps people focus and some other a strict plan can be restrictive to the process.

• robin_maine
    16 years ago

A business plan can be like a grocery list of things to do. It will help you identify your customers, make you run numbers and a lot more. Remember what kralen said - don't make it so strict that you don't do what makes sense just because it's not in the plan.

You have to have a plan to get this going. You can't just drop some seeds in the soil and hope for the best. How detailed and whether you put it on paper is up to you.

• skagit_goat_man_
    16 years ago

Developing a business plan will help you in determining what it is you want to do. Starting a small farm on 2 acres is a good phrase for getting your minds going but that's about it. And you plan will change, sometimes frequently. One of the first things to decide is if this is to be an income producing business venture or a just for fun activity. At this stage the planning and talking should be enjoyable. Good Luck. Tom

• buckeye_brian
    16 years ago

I was just on the SBA website today taking an online course how to write a business plan. I am going to "revive" an old construction business and thought a business plan would get me more focused.

It actually depressed me a little. Actually thinking about corporations, banks, supply/demand, employees, etc almost made me want to stay working in the middle-east! Just kidding...I will get it going in the summer...

Anyway...I think it will keep you focused if you write down what your goals are; what are your inital investment expenditures going to be and a marketing strategy. It will be worth the time to get you started.

May your profits rise to the sky..

Brian

• boulderbelt
    16 years ago

I would first think about how and where I want to sell. At farmers markets, to resturants, via a CSA, at a farm stand or a bit of each. having a market or 4 before you sow the first seed is very important. Next you need to figure out what you will be planting and how much. than you order seeds.

I would start small, just because you have two acres does not mean you will have.

So yes it is good to have some sort of plan but have a loose plan.

Sponsored