Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iafarmboy

Favorite Vegetable Varieties For The Market Garden

iafarmboy
14 years ago

Hi All,

I'm going to give market gardening a shot this coming summer and have been doing a lot of research. As my id says I live in Iowa (SW). I should also note that everything except the corn will be grown on plastic mulch. I've spoken with a lot of seed reps and am planning to plant the following varieties:

Sweet Corn: BC 808 and BC 805 (syngenta bt varieties)

Tomato: Mountain Glory, Crimson Red, Rocky Top, Mountain Fresh, VHN 961

Zucchini: Paycheck

Watermelon: Top Gun

Cantaloupe: Athena

Cucumber: Marketmore 76, Fanfare, Cross Country

Bell Pepper: Aristotle, Crusader

Yellow Squash: Patriot II, Sunglow

Please let me know if you have had bad experiences with any of this or if you have other preferences. Looking for vigorous high yielding varieties that will be kind to a rookie. Ive farmed and gardened for years but never raised produce on a large market scale.

Thanks,

Eric

Comments (4)

• tommyk
    14 years ago

We always sell out of Sungold tomatoes

Almost any tomato, especially heirlooms are going to sell. Omar's Lebanese, Rose, Italian Beefsteak, Kellogg's Breakfast, Black Krim, Black from Tula, Prudence Purple, Pineapple and many others are favorites.

Ping Tung, Ichiban, Galine & Dusky eggplants are big sellers.

Diva, Sweet Success, Sweeter Yet, Beth Alpha, Eureka cukes are popular along with almost any pickler.

Revolution & Carmen peppers sell quite well for us. We have our own strain of Thai Dragon hot pepper that will give any other hot pepper a run for its money. It is super productive and matures to a fiery red way before any Habanero!

Zephyr, Magda, White Bush Lebanese, Cocozelle, Romansco, Bennings Green Tint, Sunburst squash/zuchinni are all great sellers.

There are so many great vegetables out there to try. What works for me may not work for you but we have had great success with what we grow. And that's the deterimining factor: if you have success growing AND selling something stick with it!

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

I use mostly OP seeds. They're cheaper and easier for me to get. In your first year, you will have alot of start-up expenses, so watch your expenses or you will find out that you haven't made money and may get discouraged.

My veggies are:

Zucchini-Black Beauty, does just fine and only $11/pound.
    Peppers, still uncertain at this time
    Yellow Squash-Early Prolific, does great, actually TOO well for my market. $10/lb
    Butternut Squash-Waltham, $13/lb
    Acorn Squash, Table Queen, $11/bl
    Spaghetti Squash, $19.00/lb, higher price this year. Last year 1/2 lb produced 22 bushel of good squash.
    Tomato-Big Beef, last year not so good, previous year-picked 1,000 lbs per week for 6 weeks off of approximately 400 plants. The weight is for good, non-split red ripe tomatoes.
    Tomato-Yellow Pear, don't plant alot they will produce FOREVER, it seems.
    Tomato-Black Cherry, very good tasting and producing, customers love them once they try them. Perfect size to offer samples without needing to cut them.
    Eggplant- Black Beauty, eggplant doesn't do well for me usually, but this one is the only one that I can grow. $3.85/oz
    Cukes, I don't have good luck with Straight 8 even if the seeds are cheaper.
    Pickles, I found National Pickling the best one for me.

As you can see, I plant alot of winter squash. I can plant and almost forget them. Sometimes we get squash borers, but that is rare. Plus while they are growing, I am picking tomatoes and zucchini.

I also have strawberries, Ozark Beauty is a very good tasting berry, also have Earliglow and Jewel, Earliglow is new for us, but the Jewel was very tasty and productive for their first year. We planted them in the fall of 2008 and picked in May/June 2009.

• andreaz6wv
    14 years ago

You can't wrong with any vegetable at my market. It's newer market and there's some things that need worked out, but I usually sold out or was very close to it every day I was there. I don't do corn b/c I don't have the space and there are a few farmers there who are the go to people for corn. I try to sell things that are not so normal, being small, it's what kept me alive there :)

Andrea

• rdback
    14 years ago

Tommyk wrote: "We have our own strain of Thai Dragon hot pepper that will give any other hot pepper a run for its money. It is super productive and matures to a fiery red way before any Habanero!"

Hi Tommyk,

I'm not a market grower (as yet anyway) but I do love to grow peppers. I'm always interested in peoples' "favorite". I was wondering if you'd be interested in sharing a few seeds for my personal use. I can send you a SASE and/or we can work out a seed trade perhaps. I would have sent an e-mail but you don't have one set up.

Please contact me via e-mail from my Member Page (just click on my posting id) if you're interested.

Thanks and happy growing,

Rick

Sponsored