Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

What variety of tomatoes and melons would you suggest to try?

canuckistani
15 years ago

I'm in Zone 5b and plan on selling in a suburban and city environment. Any suggestions on what tomatoes and melons can really sell well?

Comments (8)

• rentman_2007
    15 years ago

My limited advice would be vegs that others do not grow/sell.
    Something like 'Striped Roman' , yellow and green tomatoes.
    Some of the nice looking heirlooms.
    I plan to grow some water melons in square boxes??
    My wife will pay what ever the price if it's something different.
    Also a few tomato transplants of the ones your selling.
    You can charge more for these vegs and everyone goes home happy.

• ekgrows
    15 years ago

Cherry Tomatoes! We sell mixed boxes with black cherry, yellow pear, orange (sunsugar), red grape and green grape cherry tomatoes. I am adding white to the mix this year. They look beautiful, and people love them - we always sell out.

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How much do you guys charge for tomatoes and melons at a typical farmer's market? Does it vary a lot with type of cultivar

• ekgrows
    15 years ago

Our Heirloom tomatoes sell at $3/lb, and our boxes of cherry tomatoes (I'm pretty sure are pint boxes, but weigh about 11 oz) sell for $3.00 each. Most people at the market charge about the same as we do. We don't grow melons, so I can't help you there!

• kyhunly
    15 years ago

As far as cherry varieties--Sun Gold and Sweet Chelsea--you can't go wrong. Like they said above, mixed cherries sell quite well, as do heirlooms packaged as a group of colors. Far as watermelons go, go for the babies, especially since you're close to metro areas. I'm in farm country and even here, the double or single serving ones go well. Sugar Baby, Peace (Fedco), Minnesota Midget, Sweet and Early are awesome, even though 2 are hybrids. Yet another hybrid, Ambrosia, once tasted will net you sales.

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

Hi, I dont post here often but I grow for market. Cherry toms (sungold, sweet million), Russian Black, Black Plum, Italian Roma, Yellow pear, Stupice (early and med. sized and very good for slicing). Yes sell some of your transplants too, nice early money makers. Melons that are great IMO, are Ambrosia, Sugar Baby and Yellow Doll (the yellow doll is the best tasting water melon to me and also to the customers, sold out and could have sold double). Best of luck. Kat

• canuckistani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.

Any suggestions on squash, greens, peas, herbs....OK anything else that might be popular at a typical farmer's market?

Thanks again

• negirl
    15 years ago

I don't know if this is a regional thing,but bunches of dill leaf usually sell great here, you can let them regrow and also sell dill heads.sweet onion (I sell walla walla)BEETS,sugar snap is still my favorite pea, I think the short vine ones don't taste as good. chard, cilantro, and basil.

Sponsored