Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boulderbelt

LED Lights

boulderbelt
11 years ago

Any of you guys using LEDs for grow lights? I just bought 4 LEDs that fit in T-8/T-12 fixtures (i.e. the normal fluorescent bulb fixture). We have rewired the fixtures (have to take the ballast out of the circuit). And after my DH rewired a couple of fixtures, he realized he had 5 or 6 that were in the "go to the dump" pile because their ballasts had died so when we get more of these, those are the fixtures that will be used.

We have no started any seeds yet but I do know 1 of the LEDs is brighter than 2 fluorescent bulbs so we will be using fewer lights and the LEDs do not lose lumens over time so we won't have to replace them every year and they will use something like 80% less energy over the fluorescent bulbs, enough that we can run them off of our small solar array.

Oh, and these are white lights. I have used LED grow lights in the past but they were an array red and blue LEDs that when lit up made the room a bright princess pink, which I found hard to work in so I would often turn off those lights while I did work in that room so I didn't go crazy. But the plants do seem to like the pink light from those LED spots and grew well under them.

I should know in about 2 weeks if these are going to work and if they don't than we will use them to replace bulbs in our store or barn where we have lots of fluorescent bulbs lighting up the place.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz