Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying Wholesale

Posted by Magret 7a NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 05 at 8:16

I will be selling at Farmers Market for the first time this year. I am in the process of building some new beds. Since I am building for my business, however not in business yet, can I buy wholesale? I'm talking about seed starting supplies mostly.

Thanks,
Magret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying Wholesale

Buying wholesale sometimes is connected to having a sales tax number. However, each state has different rules about what can be purchased without paying sales tax on it even if it is wholesale. Some wholesalers require you to fill out a tax exempt form, which may/may not include your sales tax number. So, I guess you have to find out about sales tax within your state, then contact the wholesalers and see what they require (minimum order, letterhead, etc.) Or you may want to go to the wholesaler first.
You'll probably need a sales tax number when you are selling, especially if you are selling plants or cut flowers, so might as well get that started. Some states charge sales tax on food items also. You may also need a nursery license if you sell plants, a pesticide license if you use them, liability insurance for the farmers market (you may be able to add it as a rider to your house insurance if you don't have farm insurance), and any number of other things.
Someone from your county cooperative extension office may be able to help you wade through all of this, and they aren't connected with the enforcement of it, so it is "safe" to inquire.
Good luck with the new business.
Ann

o
RE: Buying Wholesale

Thank you anniew. I knew about some of the things you have mentioned and not about others. I appreciate the education. I never even considered the possibility of a pesticide license. I'll give our county cooperative extension office a call.

Thanks again,
Magret

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here