Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopflower_gw

Herb baskets

hopflower
16 years ago

I am making herb baskets this year as an addition to what we usually sell at our annual Spring Plant Sale by our garden club. Could anyone suggest any combinations that they might like to see at one? So far I have thought of a "Provence" basket with some French herbs, of course; but would like some input as to what you think would be attactive to customers.

Comments (18)

• moonblooms
    16 years ago

Here are few ideas:
    Scarborough Fair Basket - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
    Italian Basket - Basil, Oregano, Flat Leaf Parsley, Marjoram

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted: suggestions of combinations. I had thought of the English basket actually, as those are herbs that are traditionally used in my family (we are English) but the Italian basket is quite useful and I will use it. I have some of the herbs just starting.

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Dear Hopflower

I have been learning about herbs, and Canning from a member from Garden Web Harvest Forum for years now. I have been able to keep the doctor bills down, because of the health benefits of each.

I have a good Ideal for your herds basket.

Maybe by including the health benefits of each Herb in your Herb Basket, may increase sell, by educating the public.

Farmer J

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think that that is a fine idea. I will include a little sheet in each basket about some of the benefits that could be obtained by using herbs.

Of course, one must be careful with this as it is not true for everyone and some people use things that while natural, are not always beneficial. General known benefits can be listed, however.

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

One for fragrance? Thyme, Lemon Verbena, Lavender and Mint.
    Another for salads which could include Dill, Chives and Salad Burnet.

• moonblooms
    16 years ago

English Basket? Oh, you're referring to my take on the Simon and Garfunkle song, Scarborough Fair. I don't know if I would actually use parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme all in one recipe. It's just the first thing I think of when someone mentions herbs.

Another basket that I would buy would be one with several different basils.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pudge: Yes indeed; a scent basket would surely be a great addition. I will do one of those, as well. Thank you. :)

moonblooms: Simon and Garfunkel did not do that song originally. It is an old English ballad that they, for some reason, decided to record. It was a pretty version, however. And we do use parsley, sage, and thyme for several different dishes. No, not all at once. Parsley goes into lots of things, sage for pork and stuffings, thyme for stews and soups. Rosemary for lamb and such, although not as often as the others. The themes were for different cuisines; French, Italian, English; and now a couple of others as well!

The Italian herb basket will have the basil in it. I have two different types of basil: Lemon and Genoa.

I will also add some little touches like violas or nasturtiums to make each basket a bit colourful. Of course, they are edible, too.

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Dear Hopflower

There is a great book I Brought to help me understand Herbs, to take-in all I was learning from my friend in Washington state.

It called The Complete Guide to Vegetables Fruits and Herbs an Ortho Book. You are right about being carefull. It may not work for everyone.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Do you mean hanging basket, when you say "basket"? Most of the herbs I grow would get too large for a hanging basket. Though I imagine they would enjoy the dryer conditions. If you mean combination planters then just about anything would work, except most of the perennial herbs still get too big for a container.

I would go for mints in different flavors to be used in tea. People love the scent of mint. Lemon basil is one of my favorites along with Lemon Verbena. You could root full sized cuttings and insert them into a mint combo so that all the plants were at the same size at selling time (they both root easily from cuttings).

You could do a mix of edible flowers mixed with lettuce. Johnny Jump-ups/Violas grow at about the same rate as lettuce for me. You could stick in a full blooming Calendula or Dianthus or the little Gem Marigolds at the last minute. They all grow under different conditions than the lettuce and need less water.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I meant a combination basket; or a mixed basket of herbs for selling at the spring sale. Yes, I think a few mints are in order. I had not included them so far; but that is a good idea; and thank you for reminding me of them. I could grow a peppermint and a spearmint as well.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

The beauty of mints is that they are great winter growers and need no special handling. They always attract a lot of attention at my booth because they look so healthy. They fail here during the heat of summer, but for those first market days in the spring they look great. And they are soooo easy to grow.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I must say you are right, trianglejohn. I have some and it has practically taken over part of the garden! I should have started it in containers; although it is in a rather weedy area and at least makes that look better.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

There are plenty of herbs that work so well in the garden but look awful in a pot and are therefore a challenge to sell. Lemon Verbena is one. Kinda splayed open in a pot but if you can get people to sniff them, they usually buy them.

I grow mints in large gallon pots with the soil level just over half way up the inside wall. That way the sprigs are long and straight. If you get them potted up in the fall, by the following spring the pot is completly full of mint with long stems sticking way out of the pot. I place them up in front of the display where passersby have to brush against them. Mints, Rosemary and Chives have a powerful effect on shoppers in the spring. The same way Basil does in the summer.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The picture I have in my mind's eye of those mints is surely attractive! Thanks for that, and I better go get some planted right away for the sale. We are having rainstorms here, but I could repot some from the garden and get some others started. Chives and rosemary I have already. One thing is, when our weather does clear up, we have some quick growth spurts in our gardens. When it is nice, it is nice!

• HerbLady49
    16 years ago

Hi Hopflower,
    When I was in the business of Herbs, Herb baskets were always popular, but I sold more wreaths. Since you live in California, you should have and abundant supply of Rosemary and other herbs. Check out the link below and see how I made "Herbal Wreaths. They look great fresh or dried. Good luck with your sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Travels

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Herblady49, what a helpful suggestion. I think those would go over wonderfully, and I am certainly going to make one or two. Thanks for that!

• herboil
    16 years ago

Nice thread.

I suggest rooted herbs over cut herbs just for the lasting power of them. I find that one week tons will sell and the next none will. With cut herbs you end up putting dollars in the compost pile( which is fine)

I like the mint people.... the key here is to SPECIALIZE IN DIVERSITY>
    Apple mint, chocloate, spear, spicy, wild, bee balm, and many more mints. You need them all.. If you have the space, they will do the work for you. They will grow good and strong, and long.
    They even started creeping outside my garden into the lawn WHICH I LOVE, cause everytime I mow the lawn over the area it smells so fricken good.
    And it seems the more I mow them down the more they take over.
    Good luck

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have mint in my garden, too. It took over! However, all my herbs are potted for the garden sale; we sell no fresh cut flowers, fruits, vegetables, or herbs there.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax