Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boulderbelt

It's Cold!!!!!

boulderbelt
10 years ago

But You already knew that.

Looks like we will spend the next 10 to 15 days below freezing and much of that time below zero. I hope this kills off some pests and diseases that have been gaining ground over the past 4 or 5 mild winters. That might make up for the fact we cannot plant the high tunnel and even our germination room is way too cold to use right now so for the first time in about 15 years, it is late January and we have nothing started.

Comments (9)

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Join the club! I still need to order lots of seeds, but I do have enough to get started. I have lots of work to do outside, including rebuilding a high tunnel.

Our problem is we keep getting these wild temp swings. Thursday morning we had a low of -2 and a wind chill in the -20 range and we will be in the 50's over the weekend. Then right back to the deep freeze on Monday.

At least the weekends have been nice for the last month!

Jay

• randy41_1
    10 years ago

very cold here too. -4 and windy last night. a lot of my stuff in the tunnels and under row covers looks pretty sad and is making no new growth. i have a small 6x8 or so heated greenhouse i use for starts and have a lot of onions leeks and shallots going as well as some lettuce and boc choi. i want to slip the lettuce and boc choi into spots in the tunnels that got hit too hard by the cold. no real break in sight. at least for the east.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

Wow those are some swings! We had schools closed yesterday due to cold and today it is 30. Only for one day though and back to super cold.

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

This winter has been something. Chicago public schools were closed on account of cold. And the zoo had to bring the polar bear inside...because it was too cold :) The zoo said a polar bear in the wild could take this weather, but the zoo bear didn't have a thick enough coat. You know it's cold when a polar bear is cold.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Jay, those high temps look wonderful. We have been above 35 since 1/14 and the few days before that was after the 11" in one day. I had to pay $85 to get my drive plowed out. Our tractors both decided not to run when we needed them. tonight is the only night above zero until 1/29. Maybe February will be better.

I'm ready to get out of this deep freeze and go anywhere warm.

Marla

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

High of -15 here this Monday means more school closings.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Today, the temps are nice, still below freezing, but the winds are 40-50 and gusting higher. Tomorrow, it's supposed to get above freezing, then drop all day.

• MadHacktress
    10 years ago

It's nice to know that the weather has lost its marbles everywhere.

It was lovely today at -3C (27F?) as long as you only looked at the thermometer. The wind, however, was horrible (perhaps the same wind that Marla was getting) and brought white-out conditions and major drifting snow along with it. And now tonight we're supposed to get to -20C, and -30C with the wind chill.

I'm read for spring.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

We've been all over the place too - though I don't remember those near-60 degree days TWC is showing earlier in the month, only the -9 lows ;-) Yesterday wasn't bad, we went out to mall to get new battery put in the kids' laptop and buy DD some warm (fleece) black pants and dress shoes for her concert next week. Last night the wind was gusting so strong I really thought we'd lose some shingles. Going to be near freezing tomorrow so will get out to grocery store again, but going to be bitter cold for Scouts and concert Tues & Wed nights.

I should have started my pepper plants by now, peppers take a long time up here, but I need to buy bleach to sterilize my starter cells, could also use some potting mix. Guess I'll get those tomorrow and start some seeds. Ordering a few more tomato varieties this year too. Not sure about market(s), lots of health issues right now, but if I decide not to do market and cut way back on planting (I *had* hoped to get a HT up this spring) at least I'll have the starts to sell.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional