Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wormy radishes

Posted by sackofmommy 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 10:47

I need a fool-proof way to plant radishes and not have them get wormy. There's so much demand for them and I can't get any of decent quality to sell. I've heard people use tarps or covers but what kind of covers and methods? Any advice is is welcomed greatly. I'm so glad to have found this site. Trial and error all on your own gets to you sometimes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wormy radishes

Hello, I generally plant my radishes with carrots or beets. The radishes come up quickly and help mark the rows for me. Our main pest is the flea beetle which riddles the leaves with holes. I sell bunches of radishes with their tops on so I use floating row cover to protect the leaves. Generally, I plant the carrots and radishes water them well and put the row cover on. I just check periodically to make sure the seedlings have not dried out. I remove the row cover as soon as I have harvested all the radishes. The radishes are also used as a trap crop to capture root borers so they do not harm my carrots.
What varieties do you plan on planting? I used Burpees Easter egg radishes to spark up my table at the market. I have also planted the bigger rooted Asian types. The breakfast types are pretty too. I was surprised at how many cultures cook the leaves too which made the row cover a good investment. Good Luck.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here