Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knittlin

Buying soil heating cable ~ Farmtek, ACF, or ... ?

knittlin
15 years ago

I'm looking to buy a soil heating cable (with it's own thermostat) that heats around 12 square feet for seed starting and rooting cuttings in my unheated greenhouse, and all the choices online have me in a quandary.

The best prices I've found are at ACF Greenhouses (the automatic one partway down the page, turquoise in color) and Farmtek, but are those good quality (as in, will they last atleast a few years)? Has anyone ordered either of those and if so how are they holding up?

Is there a better type out there than the ones those companies carry? Any of them prone to shorting out and shocking you? (I'll have it plugged into a GFCI power strip, but I don't like to trust those things completely.)

And the two companies above ~ do they have good customer service if someone has a problem? How is their shipping ~ quick as they say it is and well packed? Do you know of a better company that's easier/better to deal with? I'm very willing to pay a couple extra bucks to buy from a good company.

Thanks in advance everybody.

Comments (8)

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Home made christmas tree light bottom heat seed mats utilize +/- 6 watts/foot;
    lay indoor/outdoor lines in sand or on tile for safety.

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I have been using farmtek for 5 years, and only had an issue with a product. They gave me a full refund. I have only good luck with these folks.
    Steven

• knittlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Steven. I think I'll go ahead and go with them then. They have other things I'll eventually be buying, so this will be a nice "test run" of their service.

Thanks also, GringoJay, for the info on Christmas lights. I'd thought about using those, but don't have many extras ~ certainly not enough to do the area I need to cover. I'd also read about rope lights done that way, but the cost would be about the same once you buy all the fittings to hook them up to a plug-in setup and factor in the pita-ness of having to do that. And having splices in electrical wires in a greenhouse does give me pause... Might try it still, but will get my electrician friend's help to do the splicing.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do!

• budb
    15 years ago

For years I have used an old electric blanket folded twice,
    covered with plastic sheeting, to start my vegetable and
    cut flower transplants. Using a soil thermometer, you can
    adjust the thermostat to get the desired temperature. It will
    hold several 1020 trays.
    Try it!! Works for me.
    Bud

• knittlin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, Bud, for years I'd thought about doing that, but chickened out because of all the wet conditions in the greenhouse (water + electricity = a very nervous me). But just now it hit me ~ they must be made to take atleast some moisture so kids wouldn't get electrocuted if they wet the bed, right? I just might try that after all if I run out of room and have a "rooting emergency". ;) Thanks for the tip.

• lorimcp2006
    12 years ago

I'm too chicken to try anything not made for this, but I was just about to order the soil cable from FarmTek, I just wasn't sure of what length, etc. Let us know how they work for you, I have some dream of a red tomato in June, something you probably don't have to dream about in zone 8

• the_pepper_guy
    12 years ago

Mini Christmas lights have worked for me. I have a grow rack that has 2 strands per shelf and I don't even notice an increase on the electric bill.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Garden

• berry_bob
    12 years ago

use a water bed heater

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living