Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy41_1

price to charge for turnips

randy41_1
13 years ago

anyone sell hakurei turnips? What do you charge for them? i want to sell the greens with the turnip.

Comments (11)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I'm not sure about hakurei turnips, but last year the going price for regular purple top turnip was $1/lb without tops and $1-2 per bunch with tops. The top bunch weighed about 1 lb.

Marla

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

Randy,

I grew lots of haikuri turnips last year and sold them all fall. I am planting a bunch this spring. I was selling them for $2.00 a bunch, usually 6-8 with tops. If they are smaller, I usually increase the count to 10-12. Sometimes I cut the tops off and put them in a bags for the same price.

I have seen them being sold for up to $3.00 a bunch, in the D.C. area.

Last year was the first year I grew and sold them. People were reluctant at first, until I talked them into buying them. Once they bought them, they came back every week.

Marla, in my opinion, you can not compare purple top turnips and Haikuri turnips. The Haikuri's are so sweet and crisp. Also they are ready to start picking in around 30 days.

• randy41_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mine have been in the hoophouse since the fall and we have been eating them as they have sized up. someone at the cpa firm i work at during tax season expressed interest in getting some. thanks for the price advice.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I'd never seen them, thanks for the advice. I need to buy turnip seed this year.

Marla

13 years ago

Marla,

Don't get sticker shock if you buy these. The only place I have found them is Johnny's. I think I spend over $40 on turnip seed alone, but they are so worth it.

Randy,

Where are you located, I forget. I have been growing mine all fall and winter in my hoop buildings too. My last planting, 10/22 is starting to size up too. They are the last ones I have. I am going to be planting more next weekend. It was going to be this weekend, but with the snow, -3 and -9 for lows on Tuesday and Wednesday, I thought I would just wait. Also, I spent the whole weekend trying to finish my new high tunnel.

Jay

• randy41_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i am in the blue ridge mountains of VA. we've seen a lot of single digit temps and high winds here this winter and a bit of snow. when i hear the temps are going to be below 20 at night i throw row covers over the stuff in the hoophouse. i planted these turnips sometime in october.

• little_minnie
    13 years ago

I sell turnips for $1 bunch with tops and a big bunch of greens for $2 at some times of the year. I sell them and radishes for $1 a bunch because they grow so fast and no one would pay more. However with Hakurei and Red stems (I have both too from Johnny's) you might be able to get more. Or another thing to try is leave the price the same and reduce the size of the bunch. I did that with carrots last year.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Jay, you're right, WOW the price difference between the Hakurei and the regular Purple Top is amazing. Of course, I don't buy from Johnny's due to their pricing. But my customers are usually looking for the everyday run-of-mill veggies.

Marla

13 years ago

You should give them a try. They are worth it. People were buying turnips from other vendors before I started to bring these. Once they found mine, the other vendors weren't selling turnips and I was selling out.

Jay

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Last year was the first year that I sold turnips. I got some without tops and was surprised how many I sold. I purchased about 50 lbs, and had maybe 15-20 lbs left.

Marla

• teauteau
    13 years ago

I've got a white Japanese turnip I'm going to try this year and a green top I think called Norfolk Green. I sold purple top and a yellow variety, 3 for a dollar here in Kansas City, Kansas a couple years ago and I sold out. I always try to bring something new to the market and give free samples and people always respond by coming back to buy a full bunch.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services