Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kritzmicrogrow

please help with raspberry growing tips?

kritzmicrogrow
15 years ago

hi every gardener people.

i would like to plant raspberries around my border. how many do you think i could plant/ i have about 600 ft. long of area,

3ft wide.

i have never planted these and i would like help with how many plants i could fit, what soil they like, and possible yields, also how to protect from birds and deer.( would the thorny bushes deter deer?) thanks mark.

Comments (6)

• gian
    15 years ago

Mark
    I am not a proffessional by all means but I know most raspberries are fairly easy to grow and don't require special treatment. Unless your soil is clay or really poor, all you will need is to add some composted dirt or peat moss mixed with your own soil in the holes. Makes the holes 3 times as big as the root or root ball you have.
    You will need a fence or some sort of long sturdy support that you will twine the rasberry shoots as they grow. Plant one every 4 ft or more (they grow really fast once established)
    As for deers I have always had dogs so to me never been a problem.
    birds don't usually eat enough of the berries to cause real problems, I just share. perhaps your area could be bad in which case you can net all around (but that would be some pain to deal with, however it might help with the deer problem as well)
    the only reason I answered you is because there are so little activity in these forums I thought no one will. I am not an expert but I do grow raspberries.

I am actually trying to find anyone interested in Success with house plant collection?
    thanks
    Have fun!

• berry-nut
    15 years ago

Mark
    You can plant raspberries two feet apart along your border and they will fill in nicely. As for deer we have never had them bother our plants and if you plant an everbearing variety it wont matter because you can mow them off when dormant in the spring and still get a fall crop. As for yield, we have 100 plants in their third year and we picked 700 pint. As far as soil type we had mostly clay, just make sure the roots wont stay wet in a low spot for long.
    Hope this helps!

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I have never had a problem with birds eating any of my raspberries but when I first planted them they got eaten pretty badly by deer. So last year I cut a small piece of fence to put around the smaller ones. The fence was only about 2 feet high and about 1 foot diameter. I think it gave them a good enough start to where the deer hopefully will not bother them. Our neighbor has a whole bunch of older beautiful raspberries and the deer do not bother them.

The deer also ate my new cherry trees last year, so we had to rap some fencing around them too!

• kritzmicrogrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you very much to all who helped with your great information about this posting!

i will use all of this helpful knowledge in my pursuit to grow
    raspberries.
    truly your friend,mark

• jennyboof
    9 years ago

OK-I have 3 Tulameen variety raspberry bushes and have my spot all ready to plant them BUT do I cut the grown bushes back after planting??? They are in pots right now and about 3 feet tall and full of new growth/leaves. very healthy looking. Please help-thanks.

• brookw_gw
    9 years ago

I almost exclusively plant bareroot cane fruit, but I think I would cut those plants back severely to let the roots establish to the permanent spot. Tulameen is a summer (floricane) variety, so you'd be sacrificing any fruit this year but will be developing a stronger plant for next year. I believe this variety is a little more susceptible to root rot, so plant it in a dry spot.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner