Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1908

Starting peas in hoop?

gardener1908
14 years ago

I am thinking fo starting some peas indoors and then planting them in the hoop after they germinate. I have had good luck just putting them in a large ziplock, between ppaer towels,letting them sprout, then dropping into furrows for planting. Never started this early. What do you think/ Wait a few weeks? Everyone wanted more peas at my stand last year. Thought these would be done before warm crops needed to go in. Thoughts?

Comments (7)

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

gardener1908,

I'll be waiting a couple more weeks. Mid to late February.

Are you using a tall tunnel or low tunnel? I'll be starting mine under a low tunnel. No presprouting for me, but I will be using inoculant.

Eric

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My hoop is maybe 10ft or so in the middle. I do have material for mini hoops that I use over my raised beds that I could put over the peas in the big hoop, like Elliot Coleman talks about in his books. I would like to have the peas finished before time for tomatoes, peppers and eggplant go in. Just don't know if I would be pushing it. Probaly should shoot for end of Feb. that would give me two mos for peas, and still be able to get other crops in there early. I know, try and see, huh.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

keep us posted

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

gardener1908,

The low inside the high sounds like a great idea. I'll be trying Elliot's idea this year.

Are you or have you sold pea shoots? We sold pea shoots out of our greenhouse last year for the first time. Tasty

Eric

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    14 years ago

I plant Tomatoes in the tunnel at the end of March, so the peas would not be finished if I was planting them.

On a list serve, people talked about planting peas in a 10 foot piece of plastic guttering. Then once they were big enough and the roots filled the gutter, they would dig a trench in the garden and plant the whole row. They do this to get the peas earlier than most. Just an idea for you.

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

jr, I signed up with listservice, I think. But I can't find the link. Can you post it, please?

• gardener1908
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jrslick - I know I will be pushing it. Most of the peas I planted last year were around 60 days. I thought if I planted 1/2 - 3/4 with peas, I would still have room to get some early tomatoes in, while still harvesting the peas. Will do lettuces, radishes, carrots, herb, in my 16 -16x3ft raised beds ( these did well last year with mini hoops on them) and maybe some plants. . Then I would have a variety of crops to open spring with. Last year I bought strawberries to attract to my stand, but at 25 cents profit per quart I don't know if I want to bother, although they are a good draw. Like I said I am still trying to figure out what to do with it this year. I know I won't be able to grow enough to keep the stand open all season with only me doing it , so I thought big spring, then nothing til toms., peppers, etc. Wish I could do more but I know I can't.With gutter technique do you 'slide' the peas out of it and into the trench or what?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21