Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundacks

market display structures

sundacks
16 years ago

Do you have a picture of your market display including any shelves, etc. that you have built? I'm currently musing over how to build a foldable structure that can display veggies on several levels. I think that would be a better use of the stall space than to have everything flat on the table level. So post some pics and ideas if you have them!

PS. If you've read this far, I have another question: Should I buy a legal scale for selling? Pros - less packaging, more flexible for customers. Cons - have to spend more time ringing up orders and making change. Seems like I would need an adding machine to go along with the scale.

Comments (5)

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Sorry, no photos.

I sell plants and not produce so I can't help you with the scale info (but I imagine the scale has to be certified by the state).

I designed my display to be different on purpose, I wanted to stand out in the crowd. I sell from the tailgate of my Toyota truck (has a camper shell). I put a dark green beach umbrella a foot or so in front of the tailgate and clamp it onto the open flap of the camper shell (it also has a heavy metal base plate so that it won't blow over in the wind. So far so good). I have two small camping fans (battery operated) that are held onto the lip of the umbrella by magnets, I can turn these on if it gets hot. They don't provide much air but when its hot and steamy every little bit helps.

I have two small four foot by two foot folding tables with extendable legs so that I can raise them up almost as high as the tailgate and sorta wing them off to the side. These tables fold in half and have a handle so they are easy to carry. I love these small tables and plan on buying more of them this year (I got mine at Sam's Club).

I haul my plants in plastic bulb crates so that I can stack them high in the camper shell. When I get to the market I stack the bulb crates upside down and use them as stairstepped tables to add multi-levels to my display.

I thought that this sort of display would entice people into my space but they pretty much shop from the outside edge.

• herbalistic
    15 years ago

While I am always looking for better ways to make more eye catching displays, what I am using right now is something my hubby rigged up. I got a long rectangular folding table that a church was tossing out. He drilled a couple holes in the front at each end and fixed up an L-shaped bracket that would hold 2 wire racks that you get at Lowe's or Home Depot for closet organization. A long screw pin fits through a hold in the bracket securing it to the table. [It just drops in] The racks fit onto the L brackets and help to stabilize them. I throw a tablecloth over the top to hide the mechanics. That gives me 2 tiers of angled shelving. The wire shelves also have a lip on one end so it keeps stuff from sliding off. Then I can fit tubs, baskets, whatever more at an angle to the shoppers and fit twice as much onto the table as I would otherwise.
    Our market meets south of the courthouse on the town square and we have the extra advantage of having a low cement wall we can set things on as well. I usually put my plants over there. I have taken a bookshelf to market before too but I really prefer being able to set stuff at an angle so it is more visible.

• sundacks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Herbalistic,
    Do you have any pictures of your setup? It sounds a lot like what I'm trying to make and I'd love to have a visual aid!

• herbalistic
    15 years ago

I'll try to take some of the whole process - right now I don't have any before I put the tablecloth on that covers it up and I'm not sure I remember how to post fotos on here.

I'm always looking for better ways to display stuff too. Right now I wonder if anyone has ideas on how to better display wreaths and swags. I have used a folding wooden clothes dryer thingee but I would like to figure out a way to support a sheet of plastic lattice somehow.

• randy41_1
    15 years ago

a scale is a necessity for selling produce.

my display is an ez up and a couple of folding tables. I built a square thing out of plywood and some 1x4's around the edge of the plywood. Its about the width of one of the tables. I stick a short 4x4 under one edge to make it tilt up and then I dump a bunch of tomatoes in it and replenish as needed. The rest of my stuff is either on the tables or in baskets on the tables. when my tomato season ends, which is about now since i grow only early tomatoes, i use the plywood thing for onions, gourds, etc. Whatever I have a lot of.
    There are better retailers around than me. I try to attract them with conversation rather than how nice my display looks.

Sponsored