Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

the JOY of being counted!

digit
16 years ago

I've just completed my "Census of Agriculture" form. I threw the letter away but the Sec. of Ag. used it to inform me again this year that answering the questions not only is a good thing but my responsibility.

There was something on their envelope that said if I didn't open it and look inside, the police would be at the door to read me my Miranda rights, slap me in handcuffs and open it for me . . .

!!"PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT!!"

oKAY! So, I sit down and start on it . . . hours later, I've not only finished all the info for my 2007 taxes but, hoarse from swearing, the census form is finished, as well!

One year, I had a follow-up phone call. The interviewer wanted me to explain my answers. I remember that there was something about filling in the number of acres in carrots as the number of square feet . . .

He acted impatient and bored. Apparently, a higher-up had dumped my form in his cubical and said, "figure this one out, Fred!"

I mean!! They want to know how many acres are in each crop and how can I do that when the entire garden amounts to less than an acre? This year, and except for the "floriculture" operation, I just used the "Then! I've got to break down the expenses. (Since the state where I live requires sales tax on the flowers - I already had the information on flower income.) And, the 1040 makes me come up with figures on seed & supplies. But, here I'm trying to separate out "chemicals" and "fertilizer!"

Then there's the real cute question, "market value of land, buildings, machinery, and equipment." Here's where I got the answer. Went to the appropriate state and then "Number of Counties: xx (Click here for a list.)"

When I got to my county, I found that the information was "dated" but that wasn't a problem - I just determined the percentage of inflation for an acre from '97 to '02. Then added that amount to get a figure for 2007.

You can see that the info's source is "NASS" but that didn't mean anything to me until I looked up that acronym . . .

Turns out it's USDAs National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS). So, it's their own Census of Agriculture numbers! There's probably some place the gov'ment has squirreled away these numbers online.

When that bored dude calls me this year and asks where I got this idea for the market value of the land - I've got an answer: "It's from your own census, dude!"

I wonder what I wrote down for that question the last time I filled this damn thing out . . .

Steve

Comments (16)

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Digit

I am waching C-Span learning from Steven Preston On Small Business Administration and he is addressing the problems on understanding the loan process under their angency.

I have to look-up what SOP means, in understanding their loan process. But, from what I am understanding is that the SOP, is a new program to help simplify the loan process for small business like us as farmers.

I am taking notes and will report back.

Farmer J

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SOP = Standard Operating Procedure

Oh, I don't know, Farmer J . . .

I once checked on a USDA loan and, on another occasion, on a Small Business Adm. loan.

The SBA guy got downright "huffy" with me saying, "Well we aren't just goin' give you money to spend anyway you want to!" I thought that was entirely inappropriate since I was just there talking to one of their senior administrators about other things and HE was the person who called in the loan officer. I was surprised that the guy got away with being so curt but that may be SOP and the kind of personality types they hire.

USDA loan process was an obstacle course similar to their census. I counted (funny that way, ain't I?): There were 32 pages to their loan application! It probably would have taken 2 days or longer to complete.

Now, I'm not saying that one should cut his nose off to spite his face. If there's a good reason to go after a loan or whatever, the hurdles are probably worth it. If all you've got is a casual interest - - forget about it!

Steve

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Dear Steve

Notes on Small Business Administration

I was thinking about maybe looking into some funding. Just thinking, and learning, because one of my neighbors hired companies to work on his home lately, who had a working staff with professionals results. The worker was so completely trained. In these two companies were employees that really know their jobs, with no down time. If one completes their responsibilities, they went to join others workers in a Team Like Workmanship Job Dance Getting the Job done, and done right.

I want to have a working crow like that one day, I can trust when the Boss not around. (Which will be me one day). So I know, I will have to find employees who really love farming, like myself.

Having fully trained employees is what Mr. Steven Preston from the SBA, said was highly on the SBA agenda for 2008. So there will be many staff members to address application process.

When he was talking about the Application Process, I know that involve good credit to show responsibility. That took me back to last summer, when I looking into my city funding process, and the credit company they use locally. Will I pulled up and free credit report, and could not believe someone had the power to add information and delete information, and even founded a wrong SSI. I am glad the Credit Reporting agency addressed my concerns, and corrected information. So, I can look into maybe some funding in the future. So "Us Farmers" need to keep an eye on our credit score.

Mr. Preston addressed many loan failures come from companies, not educating themselves of the loan process, or misusing the loan money. This will not be a problem for my husband and I, because we did not refinance, because we read through all the legal work, and did not like the terms. So if we decide to do this in the future, at less I will have out my Black Law Dictionary to help me understand their policy, along with the extra staff they will be adding to achieve their 2008 agenda. I feel every Farmer should have a Black law Dictionary, like our Founding Fathers, and farmer back in the beginning of this Country. My law dictionary had fallen apart in many pieces, but sill usable.

Mr. Preston also stated that the SBA, will be defining the true meaning of Small Businesses, to provide start-up funds, to reach underserved markets. (That will be Us Small Farmers), Amen!!! I feel that many of us farmers would qualify under the under served markets in geographic areas to provide employment, for those citizens who love farming, as we do. Especially, if we more to serve the Homeless, under their Project "Operation Hope". I remember giving my cherry tomatoes to a local organization during Hurricane Katrina.

Can you just think how much money the Government will save if they turn to us Farmers to feed People how are victimized by a Natural Disaster.

Thank you for the meaning of SOP.

I also learned that the SBA, is connected to the USDA Loans and Grants process, with many programs. They will be adding PCR.

I dont know what PCRs are, but their responsibilities to make sure Small Businesses ( Maybe Us Small Farmers ) access to Government Contracts.

I hope my notes is understandable, because I suffer from Dyslexia, and try to keep-up.

Hopefully, we can help each other under stand the Business side of Farming.

Farmer J

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Steve, I've got to give you a ton of credit for sitting there and filling out that census form! I never did mine - pretty much for the same reason you almost didn't. I have less than an acre, and have only been selling for two years.

As a matter of fact, when I was filling out my crop plan for the state my first year, all the questions asked how many acres of this or that did I have, and I, like you, answered in square feet! So much so that I almost named my "farm" (I still feel funny calling my yard a farm!) but I almost named it Square Foot Farm - and I still may go back to that name.

Kudos to you for your efforts.

Dee

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Dear Diggerdee

I have been trying to understand the farming census form. I guess i will be getting one someday, and when I do, I will rememer how you and steve handled the square footage thing.

What is the benfits of a farmer census form?

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The USDA has statistics on EVERYTHING! If there's an over-analyzed segment of the American economy - it HAS to be agriculture. I just wish that there was more than a minuscule part of the effort of use to market gardeners.

The way I figure it is that after American ag began to lose population in a major way (say 100 years ago) the bureaucrats attempted to repopulate the vacuum. (That might have been under Hoover. ;o)

Oh more power to 'em! I know I've benefited from the information out there - when I can find it. But, as far as a personal benefit from filling out a census form - I can't think of any. Was that supposed to be of benefit to farmers, or just more non-paying labor?

As you see above, however, I can now use a little of their information to fill out their forms . . . Once the USDA gets it, using my information will be something like a dog chasing its tail.

Dee, if the sheriff shows up at your door - you'll let us know, won't you?

Steve's digits

• skagit_goat_man_
    16 years ago

My wife just did her census book and I took a look at what she did. She has 4 acres total. When it came to specific crops she just use 10ths of an acre. The how much did you make on this or spend on that pretty much comes off your schedule F. It just seems like such an inappropriate overkill level of questions for the market grower. What use can they make of knowing that we have 0.1 acres of blackberries? Tom

• wyobluesky
    16 years ago

Digit, now that you've done yours, can you do mine? Just kidding!
    The census of ag 1997 says that here in Wyoming greenhouses and nurseries were the 4th largest contributor to total crop sales. While that probably changed 5 years later because of drought, it tells us that there is a viable industry that would get passed up if we don't take the time to fill out the census.
    Unfortunately the census IS designed with the larger producers in mind,and I know it's a little scary for the large # of smaller producers, just keep in mind that it's just a tool for data collection so that they can see what's going on in ag in the country.
    I've got a feeling the face of Ag is changing, with loss of land to urban areas and new smaller organic farms popping up, there is just so many ways this statistical data could be used to our advantage. Just think how CSA's could demonstrate how thier market is growing, and that increases their visibility which can increase their customer base. I wouldn't be surprised if the supermarkets don't jump on the bandwagon and introduce local growers onto their shelves, but they won't if they don't see that there is a demand. The census can do a part to demonstrate that increase in demand.
    Goat man, your wife did it right, schedule F 1st, then census.

• boulderbelt
    16 years ago

My husband did what your wife did skagit-put area in % of acarage.

I noticed they asked if farms were CSA's this year. makes one wonder if the USDA wants to regulate CSA's in the future.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Gee, Steve, I don't remember anything on the form or anywhere else mentioning penalties for failure to report, etc. You're making me a little nervous, lol!

Oh well, if the sheriff does show up, I'll give him a tour of my "farm". Once he sees what it entails, they'll never bother me again, lol!

Dee

• skagit_goat_man_
    16 years ago

For years many growers involved in small scale agriculture business have complained that the USDA doesn't have an interest in their operations. Maybe the Department's attitude is changing and now they are interested and taking notice. That may be a good thing or we may end up wishing we were still not of interest to them. Tom

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started the 1040 for 'o8 today and did notice that the questions regarding chemicals and fertilizers are on the form F - just didn't separate them from "supplies" in the past!! So many things to focus on with these forms.

"2007 Census of Agriculture. Your Voice. Your Future. Your Responsibility.

Must I respond to the Census? Yes. United States law (Title 7, U.S. Code) requires all those who receive a Census report form to respond even if they did not operate a farm or ranch in 2007."

I've found numbers somewhat challenging all my life but I'm amazed that some folks absolutely refuse to sit down and put pencil to paper. Their notions on what their enterprise will accomplish are drawn entirely from thin air.

That said, I'm really exhausted with the extraneous c..p expected of someone whose greatest skill is growing plants. I understand why so many folks will turn tail and run when they are forced to comply with regulations. Often the regulations were crafted by the corporation lobbyists working hand-in-glove with the lawmakers. The result is easier compliance for the guy with accountants and lawyers and a near impossible maze for someone without.

Steve

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

I did mine online. Like it!

While it was a hassle going through the form in any format, I confess it made me feel good - proud - knowing I am a farmer in this millennium, however small I may be. I am already looking forward to the next ag census, confident that growth and progress will be seen.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

I just got an e-mail this morning from my state farm bureau that those who did not respond will "have another chance".

I guess I'll be watching the mail...

Dee

• skagit_goat_man_
    16 years ago

I know it's one more thing to do in a busy day. But if you use Quicken to track your business it will make doing taxes and things as this census much easier. And it will be a major resource in adjusting your business activities for the next year. A gardener doesn't have to keep and use business records. A successful market grower does. Tom

• MrsJustice
    16 years ago

Hello Digits and all Farmers

I am becoming a proud member of the Virginia Farm Bureau, so I guess I will be counted.

I am glad I took the step, because my city was not on the list when I applied last week. I had to select a county near me. So maybe my little house Tomato farm will put my historical city back on the farming map.

I see the need to be counted as a professional farmer from my city.

I will soon be getting my census from soon.

I have learned so much by visiting their web site, and appreciate information to help us farmers, especial with farm safety as below:

Farm Bureau Safety Severe weather watches and warnings Knowing the difference between these two weather advisories could save your life. Read more : See photo

Disaster kit helps prepare for hurricane season Last summer produced a record number of hurricanes, both in number and in intensity. As we again approach hurricane season, many sources indicate that 2006 will be another active year. Read more

Manure gas dangers An increased use of manure storage facilities on the farm have resulted in numerous deaths from associated toxic gas. Read More

Promise to use your head is a new All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) helmet incentive now available to VFB members. Read more

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus