Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surround

Posted by little_minnie 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 13:03

Does anyone use Surround crop protectant? I have never ordered it due to cost but always think about it.

Lucikly I don't have certain bugs: carrot fly, flea beetles, Japanese beetles
Do have cucumber beetles, SVB, squash bugs, cabbage moths, CPB, cabbage root maggots, corn borers and sometimes aphids. Also have cutworms and those stripey catepillars that like butter lettuce.

The pesticides I use are:
spinosad on CPBs
Bt on caterpillars
Might order neem, not sure
Diatomaceous earth but no slugs since drip put in
Shop vac for cucumber beetles
lady bugs for aphids
row cover

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surround

Customers often think you have used a toxic pesticide when Surround is used because it is very hard to wash all of it off the plants and I found it was no good for a lot of leafy greens.

You have to apply it daily for most things as it needs to cover the entire plant to work well and fast growing vines need to be covered daily.

I didn't like it but a lot of people seem to love the stuff.

o

There are some folks on the fruit forum who have had some success with it, but as Marla said, it has to be applied constantly and is very difficult to wash off certain crops. Then again, it is pretty expensive.

o

Great thanks!

o

My humble apologies Lucy and Marla. Didn't mean to mix you guys up. As my wife says, "Listen to what I mean, not what I say."

o

Apology accepted, I'm not upset. I only wish I knew as much as she does in her fields.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here