Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gladgrowing

modifying EZ-up canopy color?

gladgrowing
16 years ago

Hi!

I am wondering if any of you have experience with using the newer spray paints made for plastics on nylon canopy covers? I have a white ez-up, that has some mildew spots on it. As i may start selling value-added farm products, and produce from it - i would like to spray paint it to look best in the lovely mountain terrain we live in!

I know rustoleum and krylon make spray paints that adhere completely to plastics, so thought that might work?

Thanks for advice!

Comments (4)

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

Try the spray on some similar fabrics first. The canopy isn't plastic. The canopy is flexible, and anything you do to it must also be flexible. Paint would probably turn brittle and you would have an irreversible mess on your hands. Dye is flexible, but the canopy fabric is repelling, not absorptive. I don't see it as the solution to your dilemma.

Try rubbing some lemon juice and salt into the spots, then letting the sun shine on it for a few hours. That should remove the spots.

Get a number off the can and call the paintmakers and ask them what they think about painting a canopy. They'll give you the "we're not responsible" speech, but they also might give you some straight answers.

• crowspice
    16 years ago

If your EZ Up canopy is like mine, the fabric is probably nylon. You might want to try some Tilex spray on the stains, but like the other poster said, it could be worthwhile to contact the company and see what they say first.
    We design and sew kites for pleasure; kites are generally made from rip-stop nylon - a slightly different type but nylon nonetheless. Design Master floral sprays are a colored dye in an aerosal can. They are meant to add a splash of color to a fresh or "silk" (nylon) flower. We have used these sprays with great success on nylon kite fabric. It is permanent and can be layered for color grading (red and yellow makes orange, etc) If the discoloration is just along an edge, you could just do the
    edges all around. Again, you may wish to check with the manufacturers of Design Master and/or test it on some similar fabric before you go whole hog! I am not sure it would be a good follow-up to the Tilex though so you may have to choose! It is noxiously smelly and should always be used outdoors or in a place with very good ventilation; or you should wear a respirator-type mask. It is readily available, in a host of colors, at craft stores such as Michaels. Good luck!

• gladgrowing
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crowspice,
    i can't thank you enough! This is more of what i had in mind, and i will give it a try. Truly, a white canopy is not what i need with forest droppings all around. Will do as you suggest, as i am not looking for a solid color change. Unfortunately, white was the only color available where i bought my canopy.Will check with the company for advice.
    Good biz to you,
    Glad

• Tori Bamberg
    3 years ago

Has anyone tested this? I would like to paint my logo onto my ez up and would like to know if the floral paint works.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm