Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

What flowers sell well at farmer's market?

canuckistani
15 years ago

Any suggestions? Any that are easier to grow or good companion plants?

Comments (6)

• ekgrows
    15 years ago

Just finished my second year selling bouquets, and I have found there is no rhyme or reason to flower sales. What sells good one week will not the next. I have had lots of people comment on the same bunch of flowers over and over, but they don't sell.

Some types of flowers seem to sell better on their own (sunflowers, glads) while others do better in mixed bouquets (zinnias, daisy, asters) I focus on color combinations vs types of flowers in my bouquets. Red, white, and blue, red and yellow, all pink, purple or blue and yellow, etc. A stunning color combination will catch an eye, no matter what type of flowers it contains.

Grow flowers you are familiar with, and have had success with. Some of the easiest I grow are zinnias, rudbeckias, sunflowers, celosia, dahlias, and marigolds. All of those attract a lot of birds, butterflies, and bees.

I'll see if I can post some of my favorite bouquet pictures.

• ekgrows
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention the obvious - What does well at one market may not at another. You may find you sell bunches of single flowers better than mixed bouquets. We have a vendor at our market that does a make-your-own-bouquet thing, and she is very popular. She also offers to put bouquets together for you if you don't have the bouquet-making skills to do it yourself. You could always try that.

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

It could also depend upon the economy. Year before last I sold every glad I could raise. Last year I quit picking them because people were spending their money elsewhere. Mainly for gas.

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

we only sell Perennials, but we sell a great many of them!
    We do best with our 1 gallons, but there is husband/wife team that sells almost nothing except 4" stuff and he out-sells me almost every week. They have quite a name and do sell very nice plants. We try and sell stuff that is new to the market and unusual stuff to go along with our conifers.
    We sell at several different markets and it sure differs from market to market what sells.
    Our biggest market we sell everything, but each of the others markets seem to have a very specialized crowd. One market only buys six-packs or small rooted cuttings, another only buys 2 gallon and above. One market is only looking for herbs and fruit producing plants, so this year we added blueberries and artic kiwis.
    We have an adage at our biggest market.."Color sells!"
    Steven

• negirl
    15 years ago

I also just finished my second year of farmers market cut flowers. My best selling bouquet includes zinnia (red, orange and hot pink), cinnamon basil, cramers burgundy celosia (must have!), rudbeckia triloba or goldenrod or plume celosia, gomphrena, and giant foxtail. I also grow sunflowers, my favorite last year was strawberry blonde, and I like to pair them with amaranth. hot colors seem to sell best, and I don't sell many bouquets untill July, wich is OK couse I have plenty of veggies in June. I also have my veggies to sell, so I premake most of my boquets, and I think I have less wilting and waste this way.

• Sally "Cricket" Benfer
    15 years ago

Negirl - this sounds like a large bouquet. Do you mind sharing a picture of and the price? Thanks, Sally

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville