Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruce2288

liability insurance

bruce2288
11 years ago

What do you guys do about liability? My general farm liability will not cover if someone sues because they though my produce cause a tummy ache. Abusiness liability quote was $500. Do you people have liability coverage? If so do you know a cheaper company? or do you take your chances?
Thanks bruce

Comments (12)

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

So far I have been taking chance but want to buy it so I willsee what is said here...

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

I had a policy with AutoOwners, 2 years ago the minimum was less than $200. It's based on sales $$.

Minnie, I went for years without. When our FM started requiring it and we had to show the policy is when I got a policy. I was always crossing my fingers.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

check out campbell risk management. there may be other providers. they only cover off farm sales i think.

This post was edited by randy41 on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 16:17

• bruce2288
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I will share my homework. Agent from either Farm Bureau or farmers union ins. said it would be covered under my general farm liability policy. I don't think he knew what he was talking about, but you might check those 2. farmers mutual who I have my farm policy with $500. That farm policy may be moving.
    Shelter ins- agent talked to the underwriter and I would be a fruit, nut and veg distributor. coverage $500,000/$1,000,ooo premium $100. Very doable and almost a no brainer. Sure don't need to lose my farm for a few tomatoes.

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Do you think our provider State Farm will have anything for us? I have been meaning to meet and talk about it for 3 years.

• randy41_1
    11 years ago

our allstate agent (with whom we have our homeowners insurance) told us that they don't offer that coverage. our only choice if we want coverage through our homeowners insurance is to switch to Farm Bureau.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Our State Farm person states that 'they' can't cover at farmers' market and even if they could cover it as a business it started at $300 over 3 years ago.

Coverage for just a farm stand on farm property is covered differently than going to a Farmers Market. Be sure to check for your situation.

• bruce2288
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You don't have to switch everything, call shelter and get a stand alone policy.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Bruce - Was Shelter's just a product liability or also general liability? I'm thinking of switching, but if we go back to old homeowners policy they won't cover farm liability (in fact, they may tell us no liability coverage at all b/c of the farm, we might be lucky to get fire/theft on house with them again).

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Again, don't switch your coverage for your house, unless you want.. Just get insurance in the business name. Be definitely sure that you will be covered before you cancel anything.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Oh, I already switched insurance 2 years ago. Actually ended up costing less, even with farm liability. But it went up last year, and might be going up again next month so I thought I'd shop around. I esp. don't like paying $50 per market for certificates. Not a problem right now, but if I ever get big enough to do mulitple markets it could add up.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

$50 isn't unnormal for additional insureds. Standard, if you have to include them. None of our markets require that, just a copy of the insurance. If they don't ask to be included, don't. Only if they demand it.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals