Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accepting Bank Cards At Farmer's Markets???

Posted by patricias_herbs Wash. State Z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 14:14

Hello,
I need some advice from folks that accept credit cards for on & off site sales.

I'm finally giving in- I plan to accept Bankcards this season with a $10 minimum charge. I will be doing 2 Farmer's Markets, several large gardening shows, as well as greenhouse sales during the week. I'm also thinking of offering it for online sales. But I will be shut down for the winter months.

I'm most concerned about the off-site sales, and how they would work. When folks are lined up to pay-I need to expedite the process. Cell phone authorizations are very time consuming, but how safe is it to not call them in at the time of sale? An electronic reader without phone service sounds good to me, but is several hundred dollars for the unit. This processes the card just like in the store but stores all the info until you get home and hook it up to the phone line. Professional, easy to use, though again cards not authorized until you get back home.

Any recommendations & experiences on who you have found to be successful- reasonable & cost effective, easy & safe to use?

My bank is real pricey & high fees continue while I'm closed down for winter. A craft vendor at our market uses Costco's services & is satisfied. I have checked out Propay.com and Charge.com. Both have some good pros & low cons.

Thanks for your advice & time- Patricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accepting Bank Cards At Farmer's Markets???

This doesn't answer your question, but I was wondering if the same type of setup would work for food stamps.

o

It will, I had a machine thsi summer just for food stamps.

o

this is on my todo list to find a wireless card machine , i belive it would pay for its self in one season for credit or debt cards working on this will let you know ed 50 degrees in michigan today what is up with that ????????/

o

This does not answer your Q. but this season our market will be receiving a machine from the state on a grant. It will take all cards and food stamp cards. This will belong to the Market for all vendors to use. I do not know how efficient this is going to be or how its going to work. We all know a lot of poeple do not carry much cash and would buy more with plastic.

o

Just updating- I haven't decided on a company yet but still looking. Any one else have advise? Patricia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here