Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shade fabric

Posted by little_minnie 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 14:27

I am going to order some shade fabric for my low tunnels for lettuce/spinach production in summer. What percentage is right? The wholesale rep said 50%. I plan to use just 6 feet wide across the top of the tunnels with the sides open and lots of grommets to attach cords to. The local wholesaler says 6x100 feet with grommets every 2 feet of 50% black shade fabric is around $125. That is cheaper than Growers Supply.
I just got an email deal for Growers Supply though. $75 off a $500 order. I still have lots to order from them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shade fabric

I am still online shopping around. the plastic mulch I wanted from Growers Supply is no longer available. I found a company called Berry Hill that has it and all sorts of stuff! What is this product like?

Here is a link that might be useful: netting

o

I would buy green house shade cover in a roll and cut it myself, use plastic twine to weave thru it and tie it. shade cover Nolts supply: Iowa binder twine local farm store.

o

I ordered my shade fabric from the localish wholesaler yesterday. It is going to be delivered from the manufacturer. It is 100 ft by 6 feet 55% shade and grommets with finished edges. An investment.

I really hope to have enough shade for summer green production! That will cover 4 beds mostly.

o

Does anyone know if 1 inch poly tubing is available at places like Menards and Lowe's? Shipping is killing me from drip companies. The product was $50 and the shipping was $50. I should call my landlord and see if he can get it with his underground sprinkler supplies...

o

We used 1" black poly tubing for our water line, I think the minimum was 100' and we did buy it at Menards. Unfortunately, it's much thicker than what you would use for irrigation. Menards do carry irrigation kits.

I would check with your landlord and see if he can help you. By buying a larger amount it might be a better deal.

o

The extra thick stuff is for the low tunnel. I have what I need for irrigation. The tubing will be the arches of the low tunnel, into rebar with EMT 'purlins' I think they are called.

o

Menards sells thin wall irrigation tubing too in 100 foot rolls. It is different from the regular poly pipe, ask for it. I bought some last spring.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here