Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

Steaming pile of Sh_ _

eric_wa
14 years ago

Here we go agian. 2009 I spread horse manure on the front raised beds.

{{gwi:48868}}

{{gwi:48870}}

This year 2010, I will spread horse manure on the back new raised beds. Last years load, about 4 1/2 yards cost me $20.00. This years load only $10.00. Donation to the Old Horse fund.

Well, off to shovel sh- -

Eric

Comments (11)

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Nice pictures, lucky for you that your sh.. isn't frozen. All around here is. When we get lucky enough to get some, my son brings home the Bobcat with loader and then we spread several piles in the upper corners of different plots. Sometimes, we even get him to spread it out some ON the plots with the Cat. Wheelbarrows are SO much work, but they get it done.

• eltejano
    14 years ago

Are you spreading that stuff raw, Marla? Or does your son leave his Bobcat there so you can keep turning it all summer for next years' use? Surely not, since raw manure uses-up more nitrogen than it provides, plants every noxious weed imaginable, along with a host of viral, fungal and bacterial disease organisms, insect eggs, nematodes, etc! I would also assume that Eric doesn't apply horse manure while it's still cooking.

You'd have to thoroughly compost it here. But maybe up there y'all can do things like that. MAybe your cold winters kill all that stuff.

Horse, cow, sheep and hog manures are only about +/- 2% nitrogen - I wouldn't think 4-1/2 yards would go very far. Chicken is best - up to 12%.

Jack

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Most of it has been outside for weeks or months before I get it, and then it sits longer after I get it. We use the bobcat to stir when we can get it. My son's job owns the bobcat and allows him to use occassionally. This year, after sweeping up all the leaves on 'their' properties, he brought home several dump truck loads of leaves and dump onto a plot that we may not need to use this year. I think this may become a regular thing, and we would put the piles on different plots each year.

Yes, the freezing temps sure to help kill those bugs, thank goodness. and letting it sit for a year or so allows the manure to naturally decompose, just like Mother Nature does in her element. I am so grateful that I have as much ground as I do. Between my son and I, we have a total of 28.5 acres, half being old-stand woods. Plus my sister has another 28.5, 20 tillable. IF I ever need and can afford I can rent her land, it adjoins mine. Of course, she has her land up for sale, but she has it priced 2x-3x times to going rate. She lives near Indy (big town) and thinks she can get big-town prices for our little boonies.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

I compost all my stuff, it ends up being a mixture of cow, horse, pig, chicken, duck, and turkey. It compost at the top of the field for a year, turning it a couple times a week with the tractor, Ive got manure teeth on the front of my bucket. I also add dead pig compost, from the hog farm, dead turkeys from the turkey farm, and turkey bedding from the turkey farm. Its good stuff, after a year it reads, (had it tested) it reads 5-8 percent nitrogen. Pretty stable to. Plants realy respond to it, and its black and full of worms. Its neat to watch it steam in winter when you turn it.
    josh

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jack,

I'm use it more as a soil amendment than a fertilizer. I have wet clay soil that takes longer in the spring to become workable. I also mix in rabbit manure and duck manure bedding from their house. So I'm build soil like Josh. Smells great and full of life.

At planting time I use organic fertilizers.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

Funny story--

When we lived in FL, it was in a Mobile Home Park, and the park had several loads of mulch delivered to put around places as mulch. Get my idea.

They delivered 1 day, early in the day, and of course, the day heated up nicely. The next morning or two after, the temps were much cooler than anyone wanted.

Pretty soon, we had the firetrucks show up, someone had called them stating that someone had starting the mulch piles on fire. No fire, just steam. STUPID!

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They were probably thinking, some pesky kids set them a flame.

Compost can get really hot. Never seen any spontaneus combust. I've heard of barns burning down.

Eric

• myfamilysfarm
    14 years ago

We had alot of juveline deliquents there. It was funny watching these people.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that sh--s done! 42 wheelbarrow loads. Messed up the lane between the raised beds. When it dries out a little, I'll sow clover.

{{gwi:34532}}

Eric

• sfallen2002
    14 years ago

Jealous. That stuff would freeze solid here even if steaming. Lows tonight minus 10.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sfallen2002,

That's pretty cold. We have been above normal here.

If you put it in the four corners of your green house, you could grow veggies all year.

Take a look at this video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty amazing!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz