Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeankeeter

Starting out as garage sales?

jeankeeter
14 years ago

Hey everyone!

Has anyone ever started out selling cut flowers and/or potted herbs from home by trying it out by holding garage sales?

I am thinking of going this route ~ even though I can only hold four a calendar year in my township. Maybe my friends and family will hold their own and I can add on?

Any thoughts on this approach? I am only a small home gardener.

Comments (4)

• boulderbelt
    14 years ago

to be successful you need to be consistant. By that i mean you need to show up to do business week after week. farmers markets are an excellent venue for doing this

Garage sales because they are occasional are not great venues to get started and get your name out. Plus people expect you to drop your prices at garage sales so you will not be able to ask and get the highest price possible and face it if you start selling what you grow you should have a business mindset about what you are doing and a part of that is to make a decent profit.

I do a huge 5 day garage sale each year (The 127 Yard Sale, the world's Longest) and I have a farm stand. I find that while my produce sales do go up, they usually triple but the traffic through the store is up by about 500x (yes I said 500x) so you can see the produce and tropical plants I sell at this event are not the draw.

I find people go to garage sales to look for things other than farm products. Thus farm products do not sell well. But at a farmers market people are looking for farm products thus things should sell well at such a venue

All that said since you have a series of sales set up why not try it, you really have nothing to lose other than several weekends sitting around at garage sales with friends and family (not a bad way to spend time at all)

• sunnfarm3
    14 years ago

I have two neighbors directly across the street from my roadside market who have their allotted annual yard sales. I do not see any increase in plant or vegetable sales on those days actually my sales drop a little because my regular customers are unable to find parking. Yard sale people are their own breed and have no interest in flowers and food. I would recommend you setting up a table with a self service money box and displaying your stuff daily without a yard sale setup... Bob.

• divadeva
    14 years ago

You'd do better organizing a downtown street fair with the local merchants. We have one here the merchants organized. It attracts people in the hundreds on summer nights and they buy small, portable plants, dried herbs, and flowers.

• adahlberg
    14 years ago

I have tried both. People who go to garage sales do not want to pay a decent price for plants. Sometimes they even get nasty about prices. They expect you to give away something that you have worked hard to produce. You are much better off at a farmers market or a similar venue. In my town we a have a free Weds. farmers market downtown. Not as many people go compared to the Sat. market but it's free and people are looking for that 'special something'. People are really into produce but I did pretty good selling my plants. I sold african violets, fuchsias, geraniums, succulents...anything that's blooming people go crazy for! Garage sales are not your best bet.

Sponsored