Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvannote

Bean Blossom Farmer's Market

lvannote
18 years ago

Is anyone in this forum from Brown County? Maybe someone familiar with that area can tell me what is going on with the Bean Blossom Farmer's Market. I would like to sell some plants and things there. Its a great location on the much traveled 135 on the way to Nashville,5 miles from my house, There's a beautiful sign that certainly attracted my attention. I wokeup early the first sat morning I moved in , just to go to it. When I got there there was nobody there. I called the number on the sign and it was disconnected. I would love to help get something started there and would appreciate any info about it.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• holdem3x
    18 years ago

Hello,I just came across this site and saw your post.I live in Jennings Co. now but plan to buy a home in Brown Co. in the future.I have seen the Bean Blossom market sign many times and wondered the same thing myself.I have been planning on finding a market in that area for a little while now and that site would be perfect if it isnt being used anymore.If you have found anything out about an existing maket there or are interested in maybe starting one there or in the Nashville area please let me know.I am super excited about the coming season and it is just around the corner.Also do you sell at any other local markets?Thanks.

• lvannote
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went in the BeanBlossom Mcdonald IGA to ask if anyone knew about the market and it turns out the the owner, Jack owns the land. He said anyone could setup and sell there farm produce there and its free! I am suprised more people aren't doing it. I plan to sell plants that I am growing , heirlooms and trough garden plants. It would be great if some others would join the market . It is a very visible location on 135 on the way to the very touristic Nashville, IN.

• holdem3x
    18 years ago

Any idea when you might be looking to set up?If you know approx. maybe we could work something out to set up on the same day.Also what type of plants are you going to sell?I am interested in selling fresh vegetables,vegetable plants and a few other types of plants.I'm thinking it would almost have to be a Saturday or market to start out with considering the tourist traffic would be the heaviest then.I had a smile a mile wide when I read the part that said it was free and that anyone could set up there.You just can't beat that.Should be a great area.I can't believe noone sells there.Thanks for the info!

• Roberta_z5
    18 years ago

Wow, I grew up in Bloomington and just loved Brown County. I've been in the Chicago area for the last 50 years, but my heart is still in Indiana. Hope you get that Farmer's Market going!!!

• lvannote
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My brother and I are going to setup at the Beanblossom Market the week before Mother's day and Mother's Day weekend to see what happens. We are selling flower starts, veg seedlings, bosai and mini-gardens. We have no real expectation. We probably will have to do it for a while before people realise that the markets there.
    I think anyone in the area should give it a try if they want to. Who knows what can happen. I have seen programs like this grow from a small idea into something really big.

• ddunbar
    18 years ago

I think it's a great idea for you folks to use the site. However, keep in mind a couple of things.
    1) Tourist traffic will not be a big buying market. People are not going to want to buy a great plant or wonderful produce only to put it in the trunk of their car to ruin while they are shopping or frolicking in the Nashville area. The only time you might get good tourist traffic is in the fall with pumpkins, gourds, etc.
    2) If I were you, I might consider trying TWO days, if it's feasible. Bloomington has such a huge and well-attended market on Saturday mornings. Serious buyers travel from surrounding counties to buy there. So, if you could, maybe try Friday evenings to catch folks going home or BEFORE they head for Bloomington.
    Wish I were closer, I'd seriously consider joining your effort (I'm in SW Montgomery Co.)! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

DD

• lvannote
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We did the market saturday and all and all , I am encouraged. We were late to setup and were only there for two hours. I sould vegatables and herbs and made $50. The unusual stuff i brought like miniature conifers and alpines where ignored. They were local people, not the Nashville indiana tourist i had expected. So my focus will change to do that market.
    A lady stopped to say she was comming to setup a stall the next May saturday.
    If anybody else wants to setup its, free. The market will pickup , if we're consistent.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus