Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinoisfarmer

relative maturities of sweet corn

illinoisfarmer
12 years ago

Before moving to insect protected corn several years ago, I used to plant Trinity, Ambrosia and Delectable, 67, 75 and 82 day maturities. If planted on the same day, these varieties were ready one after another perfectly. After my initial planting of all three, I mainly stuck to delectable unless a rain held me out, then I could make up the gap/delay with a planting of ambrosia. I switched to Rogers BC0808 and BC0805 and found them to work pretty much the same way, with 77 and 82 day maturities. Last year BC0808 was replaced with BC0822 and even though it is listed as the same maturity it seems as if these varieties are ready virtually the same time. Three different times they were planted side by side the same day and it gave me two plantings ready on top of each other.

I am considering trying temptation II instead of the BC0822 for this slot. It is listed as a 72 day but I have no real idea how it compares to anything else. Does anyone have any experience with it? Or, is there data somewhere that compares the relative maturities of corn across companies (how they compare to other varieties not from the same seed company).

In the real world, I cant always plant when I want to so I need something to make up a gap.

Thanks!

Toby Brown

Comments (3)