Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where do you get your irrigation water?

Posted by Slimy_Okra 2b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 15:47

First, my sympathies to those who would like to irrigate but are unable to given the drought in the US Plains. We are lucky to get abundant snow up here.

I currently use a municipal source of water (treated and very cheap) but may relocate for other reasons, where I would have to use other water sources. I confess I'm quite clueless about all this. The two main sources of water, apart from municipal, are wells and ponds. The groundwater is hard, so how would I work around that? How much capacity would I need? I would use mostly drip irrigation and some sprinklers.

Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where do you get your irrigation water?

I have a good strong well, so that's what I use when I need. I haven't tried drip tape yet, but our water isn't as hard as some others water.

This post was edited by myfamilysfarm on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 20:19

o

I use a well, I have a filter at the start of the system. I believe you will need am output of 5gpm for any drip system IIRC which is not much.

o

I am fortunate to have a 90' deep well and will be lucky if it keeps producing, I guess. No other water onsite. It's practically free with a 1/2 hp pump bringing it up to three 5,000 gallon tanks and back to the garden with gravity perfect for drip tape or micro tubing. The garden is now an acre excluding trees and that's as big as it goes.

o

We have a well. We've been mulling a pond, but for us the time of year where the irrigation would be most needed would also be when the pond is the lowest. And since we only have two acres I don't think the trade off of lost growing space is worth it. I am thinking of using that area for berry production. I have good highway access close into town. I think I could sell out a half acre of u pick strawberries with just word of mouth advertising.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here