Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randy41_1

selling price for plants

randy41_1
12 years ago

i'm talking about veggie and flower starts. the kind you sell in cell packs. we are going to grow and sell them this year but i'd like to get some idea as to what to expect out of it.

i see other vendors selling them in the spring but i never noticed how much they charge.

Comments (10)

• cal_mario
    12 years ago

I plan to charge $3-3.50 the large 606 cell 6-packs for veggie,tomatoes,peppers etc.I might even try $4 to start the year as I could be the first to offer 6packs in hybrids around here.I also use smaller 6cell for cucumber,tomatillo,watermelon and charge $2 for those.Flowers I think you should charge at least $3.50.I like to look around first check out the stores and even your potential competition at the market before putting a firm price.Good luck!

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

I charge $2.00 for each individual plant. I plant in 1801's and 2401's. I have had no luck with 6 packs. Most people I sell to only have room for a few plants and they want a variety of types. I mainly sell tomatoes and peppers. I am going to add 4 packs of cucumbers, zucchini and okra this year too.

My local greenhouse charges $2.25 each for individual plants, so I am a little less than them. At the market, it is easier to charge $2. Also, I do offer 3 for $5 or 12 for $20.

Jay

• cal_mario
    12 years ago

My experience is don't make a 6pack of cherry tomatoes one or two is better, and peppers can be sometimes single too ,just depends on the market.My customers buy lots of peppers and tomatoes since my market in a rural area they love the 6packs,I also sell zucchini in 4 packs I just cut off two cells from the large 6pack.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

I sell mostly in 4" pots for $2-4 each depening upon the market. I've also sold the smaller plants in 4-6 pks for the same money or 2x as much. Either way, the customer is getting smaller plants for a better price. It's amazing how many people will buy that individual plant and not care how much it is. Of course, this is regular customers that have bought my plants previously and know the quality.

Most of my customers, no matter which market, will NOT buy more than 2 cherry tomatoes. Most people don't buy more than 6 total varieties of tomatoes, and not that many peppers. The only ones are growing for salsa.

I watch what my local greenhouse, not the big box stores, to see what they are pricing. Then I price my close to that. I've done this for years and just this last year found out that the greenhouse had no idea how much materials and labor costs were involved per plant. The greenhouse had to declare bankruptcy to get back on their feet. We'll see what prices they charge this year.

Marla

• 2fennelshirts
    12 years ago

This market season (2012) I plan on selling (Natural Grown Veggie Plants)(I started doing this last year) tomato plants, 3' pots/$3, 4" pots/$4, 10" baskets tumbling tom ($) not sure yet (this is my ? to you Jay). I use to sell 10" tom baskets in 1999 for $8.00 (not tumbling tom) they were some kind of cherry tom. I plan on selling pepper plants, 3"/$2, 3pk/$3. I sell 3pk of pansies/$1, I also sell some perennials, 3" pot/$2, 6" pots/$5. I'm not sure about what other veggie plants yet besides some lemon and lime basils, they sold good for me last year, 3" pot/$3, I bring samples of lemon or lime basil cookies/recipes to the markets I go to (4 times a week). After all of the years I've been gardening I can't believe how much more I have learned from reading on this forum. I really enjoy the follow-up's from Jay,Marla and many others!!:)

• randy41_1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i sold TT's 2 to a hanging basket for $12. one red and one yellow. i sold all except one sad looking one.
    i'm looking forward to selling plants if i can get it together to make it happen.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

It's amazing how many people will buy zucchini plants. Cheap seeds and they sell. I also sell cucumber plants.

Marla

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

I sell my hanging tomato baskets for $12 each or 2 for $20. I may cut back on them this year. They haven't been selling as well last year as years prior. With that said, I am going to be growing more and keeping them for own growing and harvesting. Those cherry tomatoes set on strong and help fill the gaps I have with my normal cherry tomato production.

Marla,

It is amazing that people buy zucchini plants too. they are super easy to start from seed, in the ground! But they are a quick money maker too. From seeding to selling is about 2 to 3 weeks.

Jay

• 2fennelshirts
    12 years ago

I plan on planting 100 TT baskets, sell some at the FM's ready to eat off of, keep about 50 for harvesting for FM also. I'll be doing some cucumber baskets to sell too and ready to eat off of. Any summer squash plants sell well here too!! About 4-6 more wks I can start sowing in the house on my dinning room table, I can hardly wait to get started, my seed orders are starting to be delived !!
    Deb

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

My mother-in-law lived in an apartment and one of her neighbors had a cucumber plant with a tomato cage to grow on. I thought it was a good idea.

Jay, I did the zukes and cukes from your suggestions last year. The cukes didn't sell as well as the zukes, but they did sell well enough to pay for all of my seeds.

Marla

Sponsored