Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan1853

Selling Cut Flowers - what certifications are needed?

Susan1853
12 years ago

I have been reviewing rules and regulations at local farmers' markets. One requires that if you sell cut flowers you have to have certification from the Department of Agriculture. What does this entail?

I know that the farmers' markets are just trying to take precautions to protect themselves, but it seems I keep running into different obstacles.

Is there one central place to go to find out what I need to do in order to be 'legal?' I plan to, in addition to cut flowers, sell organic fruits, vegetables, etc.

Any suggestions from those who participate in farmers' markets on a fairly small scale?

Comments (6)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

In my markets, there are either no regulations or a minimum of sales tax/business license. Each state have their own rules.

If you sell your flowers as edibles, be sure to have some type of insurance, to cover you for those people that might eat something that shouldn't be eaten.

Marla

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

We just googled Texas Dept of Ag, and there was lots of information. Texas Adminstrative Code. Click on food and nutrition. On that site, there is a link for licensing and registrations, then rules and statues, click on rules. You might find what you're looking for there.

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

Weird. You do have to take/pay sales tax because it isn't a food.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Yes, In Indiana you do. Everything except food that is not fast food/ready to eat, you have to pay sales tax 7% here. Plus the certificate costs the merchant $25.

BTW, I just signed up with Square, to be able to accept Credit Cards with a smart phone. Only cost is 2.75% if I use the card reader than they are sending to me for free. No merchant account or monthly fees. I will be able to take Visa, MC, Discover or American Express. YEA!

Marla

• henhousefarms
    12 years ago

Marla -

Will you be able to take LINK cards also with Square? I think that looking into the future we may start looking for some type of credit/debit package and are interested in what you think of it.

Tom

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

It doesn't say anything about LINK. It does say anything with MC/Visa/AX/Discover logo can be taken. I wish it also took FS cards, but I don't think it does. did you look at their site? squareup.com.

They will deposit all purchases done before noon PST into my 'linked' bank account each evening, and all others the next business day. Looks good so far. Trying to get things arranged before we start getting busy. Don't have smart phone yet, but I can get a prepaid Android and only pay $50 per month per phone with no contract. They will also send more than 1 square for free if you explain why you need it.

Marla

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida