Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evanthemarketgrower

When do i start?

Im in central ohio and looking to do tomatoes pumpkins squash muskmelon watermelon honeydew blue lake pole beans a vareity of leaf lettus cabbage and onion. I have a green house and i want to know when to start my plants to have the longest season. My last frost last year was may 10th. also im wondering when i figure my cost and profit how do i find the profit i can make? This is my first year growing for my family farm market and im starting small and trying to slowly get bigger. any advice on any aspect of market growing would be nice. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I start my tomatoes, peppers and eggplant extra early. My .frost date is 4/20. I wouldn't expect you have make a profit your first year, if so, not much. You will have alot of expenses for the start up year.
    Are you going to an established farmers market, or are you doing a farm stand? there are differences in how much you can market and what supplies you will need.

I found one website that helps beginners in the Midwest for how to start their planting. It is http://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-331/426-331.pdf

It has alot of help.

good luck

Marla

• evanthemarketgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i am starting at an established farmers market, we are more of a bakery that ships in its produce it sells. and i am going to try and grow some of it this year. when it started out with my 30 years ago we grew everything and it had since changed alot and i want to bring back more of a produce aspect to the market, but thanks for the link! its very informative!

• boulderbelt
    13 years ago

Evan, i am close to you and have been growing in West central Ohio for almost 2 decades. your last frost may nave been may 19th last year but on average it is May15th and the past 15 years about every 3 years we get a frost on or near memorial day and most years it is down in the 30's at the end of May, not frost but cold enough to harm tomatoes and cucurbits

Onions from seed you start between December and now. If doing sets of plants than wait until March or April to transplant. Onions can take cold

Lettuce You can either direct sow when the ground warms up to 55F or you can start inside now to be planted in a hoopouse in 2 to 3 weeks. We start around 300 lettuce plants about every 7 to 10 days through May (longer if the spring is cool and wet going into June). lettuce does badly in heat unless you are willing to shade it well and water it copiously daily.

Tomatoes for a hoophouse can be started now if the house is heated and can be kept at 70F to 75F day and night. But if it is unheated you want to wait until mid April to start them so you do not have huge plants to transplant out mid may to early June

Pumpkins, squash etc get started no more than 3 weeks before you want to transplant them so count back from your last frost date 3 weeks and that is your planting date

On profit, just know farming on paper is a lot easier than farming in real life and a lot of your profit will be dependent on weather and your customer base which changes from season to season

• evanthemarketgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you so much! do you think if i watered once a day it would be enough? im laying plastic on rasied beds and using redwood mulch between the rows on everything except lettus and beans. do you think its a good idea and a cost eficant one to put mulch in between, i was also debating straw?
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022