Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kritzmicrogrow

my market garden facts 2008

kritzmicrogrow
15 years ago

hello everybody ! im new to this forum but i have been market-gardening in michigan for 5 years. at first,i bought wholesale amish fresh local produce from the local amish produce auction and sold some from my stands i built at home . i also sold some to the local farmers market. i did best at the markets where i could easily sell out in 4 hours (pickup truck sized load).

i felt that the growers at the markets did not like people selling fresh produce that they did not grow themselves.

i then decided to grow my own.

the winter of 2004 i spent my extra time in front of the wood stove in my workshop-shed. i decided that i would plant a total of 1 acre. also i would build an add on greenhouse to the back of my shed, approx. 15 ft. by 40 ft.

i spent hours studying books on veggie growing techniques from the local library. i went online for any information on

fertilizing,mulching,green-house plant production,seeding, crop yields,bug-disease issues.

i purchased a garden tractor 25 hp-twin and a single plow and adj. row crop cultivator, twin disc. and a large rear tine tiller and a small mantis.i also found a 20 cu. ft. dump cart and a earthway seeder.

the slant roof greenhouse on the south end of my shed cost about 800.00 to build and every feb i install 4 mil. clear plastic.

my first year was very awkward ! my greenhouse held about 200 flats 48 count trays. i planted all veggies ( tomatos-brocolli-cauliflower-cos lettuce-peppers)

i figured that i would save money by growing my own plants for the market garden. i had about a 75% sucess rate. (the extra plants i sold out front in my stand)

as far as production from my crops i learned an awful lot that first year! blossom end rot-lack of soil nutrients-water shortages-insect damage-cheap seed problems-cross polination-and deer damage.

i barely made 1000.00 my first year

i have learned a lot in the last few years. succescive plantings-cover crops-proper tilling methods-crop rotation-

consistent watering-proper calcium and other soil amendments-quality seed & much ,much more !

the final word is i now make about 5000.00 from this little acre paradise this includes greenhouse production.

i beleive that i can hit a goal of 7500.00!

not enough to live on but a nice little added income and plus its a whole-lot of adventure.

i think its great for anybody to give this a try. especially with a lot of other jobs drying up out there!

i live in mid-michigan year round. please comment on my article.

Comments (14)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the hard numbers. Plenty of people like to garden and think they will strike it rich by growing and selling garden stuff - the truth is that it is hard way to earn an income. It makes a great second job though!

Personally I think that produce being sold at open air markets should be categorized by who is growing it and who is selling it. If you didn't grow it, then you sell in the "Produce Market" section. If you are the grower, then you sell in the "Farmer's Market" section. It gets tricky when you have the farmer's wife or children doing the selling, and they have nothing to do with the growing or harvesting of the food. And expecting a farmer to be good at marketing AND growing is asking a lot of one person. Around here we have state run Farmers Markets that allow reselling, very few vendors are selling stuff they actually grew. It is supposed to be in-state only produce but you can buy citrus and no one grows citrus commercially in this state. All in the name of "keep the market going" which I agree with I just wish they would label things so that the public was not being misled.

I know people that operate market farms of over an acre, that sell at multiple markets and have other avenues for their produce. They work very hard and don't make as much money as you would expect. But different people need different amounts of income and people can get by on less in different parts of the country. Its all relative.

Congratulations on your success and I hope the future gives just what you are looking for.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

"...It gets tricky when you have the farmer's wife..."

Or the farmer's husband, lol!

Interesting thread!
    :)
    Dee

• steve22802
    15 years ago

Kritzmicrogrow, how many square feet or acres are you using for your market garden?

• kritzmicrogrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

steve22802: steve i plant 12000 row ft. at 2 foot spacing avg.
    some things are tighter spacing- some wider. i plant on about 35000 sq. ft. some areas are early and late planted.
    i start out with onion, spinach,radish,gr. onion. brassica,s-kohlrabi-(potato around may 15)
    misc. lettuces , beets followed by warm weather crops then a early august planting of more gr. onion, beans and beets and spinach.
    everything gets rotated pretty well.
    i cover crop in most areas in late september.
    thanks for asking,mark.

• gponder
    15 years ago

Just curious, before or after expenses?

• canuckistani
    15 years ago

Kritz, do you plant many specialty type crops? Do you think that might increase your income?

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

I started selling at the farmers markets 3 years ago.
    I grow flowers and lots and lots of dwarf conifers.
    I had been selling loads of hostas on line, but it seems everyone And thier uncle is selling hostas!
    I sell at 3 markets a week and my wife sells at a smaller one on Saturday (I sell at our biggest market on Saturday).
    At our markets you must grow your own to be able to sell.
    If you are selling for someone else, you must be registered with the county Ag department to sell for the other person. You can only sell for one other person.
    I am the president of a small market association, and last year we meet with the Sate Ag folks and Boy! do they have a lot of new rules!
    I found as long as we followed the rules, the Ag department backed us up when we had problems.
    I made about $12,000 selling at the markets last year.
    It now tops our on-line sales. We now have 4 small kit-greenhouses purchased from Farmtek.
    We have expanded into fruit trees and blue berries this year, so I am quite anixous for the selling season to begin.
    We have been growing Christmas trees in pots for 3 years, and this past season had our first sales. We hope next year to be able to make around $2,000 from christmas trees and compainion plants.
    This past year we actually made money!
    Steven

• gardenerwannabe6
    15 years ago

Hi Norcalconifers:

I'm interested in your potted Chistmas trees. How big were they this year when you sold? I think that's a great way to make market more "year round"

What kind of labor is involved in the potted trees? Thanks in advance....

• norcalconifers
    15 years ago

The trees that sold best were 3 feet tall, and almost as wide. The Noble Firs and Fraser Firs sold best. We did sell some dwarf Alberta Spruce as well, but not the run of the mill type, true dwarfs.
    I buy them as year-old seedlings from Lawyer Nursery in Wash. We grow them 3 years then sell them. We grow all of them in pots.
    Watering is the biggest issue. They require more than you think so the first year we lost about half of them. Fertilizing is another issue, they burn if you use too much, look yeallow if you forget the iron.
    Overall they are pretty easy. We hope to sell 100 this year. that will make December a lot better month for us!
    Steven

• flowermanoat
    15 years ago

We have a two acre lot with one acre in garden divided half in raised intensive beds and half in lower alleyways. We have two nearly full-time family workers. For the past 13 years we have grossed an average of about $24,000 in one of the poorest areas of California. Presently we market twice a week, year around at one market location. It's real lean in the winter. When it comes to figuring expenses I find that quite a bit qualifies such as a portion of the mortgage, property taxes, interest on mortgage, market rent, publication expenses, office expenses, mileage to markets and for picking up supplies. Also utilities are a big expense as we keep a walk-in cooler going all year and pump water 24/7 in the summer months. There are lots of tax advantages that farmers share with other small businesses. In the end expenses come out to about 1/3 of gross income but last year I had to put in an expensive new well that I'll amortize over a few years so expenses will be more. More information at our non-commercial website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole Systems Agriculture

• kritzmicrogrow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you to all & who responded to this post. there is lots of great info in all of these post,s that we all can read, share , and put to use in our market garden endeavors.
    with the power of all of our minds working together, as market gardeners, there are no limits to our growth. mark!

• tulsacityfarmer
    15 years ago

I would have to see what you are doing wrong guy.First it is a lot of work and you are not going to get rich, but it is a buss. and has to be treated like one.I have two 100x120 garden areas for produce other areas for berry production. I have one garden in cover crop and use the other.But I have 1000 tomato plants a year that clear about 8,000 a year forget the rest of the garden.I'm using about a 4th of an acre ,an acre is 43,560 square feet.
    There is a book that ,got me about 10 years ago "THE SMALL COMMERCIAL GARDEN", he shows what you must do to make $ 10,000 0n a 9246 square feet in the 1980's. Today prices are higher and people are educated about local produce.
    I hope you study and learn to market your produce, so you can make some income to keep you enjoying market growing.Good luck!

• gardener1908
    15 years ago

tulsacityfarmer,

You do $8000.00 with 1000 tomatoe plants? Are you selling plants or tomatoes? So you only use 1 bed, 100ft.x120ft. at a time? Also do you know if the book is still available?

Sponsored