Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just starting out

Posted by iloveroosters zone4-5, NH (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 06 at 19:10

I am just starting out in the world of the Farmer's Market this year, hoping to sell at two of them within 45 minutes of home. I have gardened for years, just for our family of 4, with some produce left over to can a few jars of things for the fall. My question is... I don't have a greenhouse yet, how much time do I have to buy one, before I have to start growing to sell at the markets?? I have a very sunny south facing dining room to start seedlings which has served me very well in the past, but I know it's not big enough to start seedlings for a market garden. Should I make a few cold frames to start spinach, lettuce, beets etc.. now?

Also, do you think starting at two markets my first year is too much? They are both weekday markets from 3-6. I am going to their meetings this month to get to know the vendors and their policies and ask tons of questions!

Where did you all get your canopies and what do you use for your tables?

Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just starting out

what i would do is make a business plan . 1 what are you going to sell 2 cost of greenhouse 3 cost of materal to grow product 4 cost of market rent 5 transportation 6 time 7 hobby or business ? also keep in mind return on investment is it worth it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here