Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2fennelshirts

First Come/First Serve--Pre-Filled Market Baskets

2fennelshirts
12 years ago

I was thinking of trying something NEW this Market season: What about bringing Pre-Filled baskets containing several different kinds of veggies,(kind da like a "CSA" no cash in advance or pre ordered, (customers buy what ever is in the basket and no subs) the (8-10) baskets, all the same, with the same amount of each veggie 6 or 8 diff seasonal veggies. "First Come/First Serve"-each basket has a number on it (1 thur 8) Lets say one of my Markets opens at 3pm, (the vendors here are not allowed to sell anything until exactly 3pm) the first customer before 3pm can take a # from a basket and so on. The customers who have a # MUST be in line at your stand at 3pm sharp, if they are not back to your stand by 3:15 pm, the basket comes up for sale to the first costumer who wants to buy it. There will be a different color/type #tag on the baskets every Market day. Any ideas or suggestions to make this idea turn out? Oh ya, the price of the Basket's contents ($$) is lower then if you were to buy each item separate. First Come/First Serve, Thus "BONUS BASKETS"

Deb

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

The markets that I've attended that have definite start times, wouldn't like the idea. I would that people's name if their interested, and take their name and assign the numbers(ahead of market time, off market-site). Then do the rest the same.

That way, the market couldn't say anything about pre-ordered baskets.

If you try them, keep us posted. We may want to copy.

• boulderbelt
    12 years ago

what happens if the baskets do not sell? That is a big difference between a CSA and your idea. With a CSA everything is already sold and you don't have to do any more marketing and you do not have the waste of unsold produce.

CSA is NOT about putting food in a box, bag or basket and selling it as such. CSA is about members and the farmer sharing the risk of farming and getting a share of the harvest as well as connecting to the CSA farm and getting to know the farmers. Taking a basket of food to a farmers market and selling it not CSA it is simply packaging the food you sell at market in a different way than others do.

• 2fennelshirts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your probably right Marla, the market wouldn't like this the way I started the idea. I'm on one end of a "L" shaped Market(a permanent Market sight), when I need more room for display I bring my own table the I extend on the end. I'll bring my grandson with to handle my main display while I run the "BONUS BASKET" table. I'll have a sign that reads "BONUS BASKETS" "Customers ONLY-Please Line up Here. When There Gone There Gone!!" Somethink like that. If they All sell, Great! If they all don't sell by 4pm, (Market is 3pm-6pm). I'm hoping once the customers caugh on, I'll have a line of customers By 3pm sharp!! At 4pm I'll take the unsold items out of the baskets and display them separately, No more bonus buys. First Come/First Serve!! I don't want to take orders for delivery at the Market, done this before, sometimes the people who order ahead don't show up, even if I set a time. I'm Not interested in any per pay or pre order customers, at least not until early fall, I'm hoping to convert one of my GH's to Hoop House fall production! This will be NEW for me. I do know some about "CSA" but I'm not interested in this at this point.
    Deb

• magz88
    12 years ago

It's worth a try!

I'm not sure Bonus Basket would be the best name for it though, sice it sounds as if the basket it in addition to something else.

Since you are trying to reframe the CSA harvest-share idea you could try out names that refer to the contents being the current weeks available produce This Week's Harvest Basket, or in Canada we are all used to hearing about bundle pricing on services, so it could be a Bundle Price Basket.

Just some brainstorming.

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

For a name, how about 'Weedly harvest basket', since you'll be putting things that are seasonal for that week.

Our market had 2 sides, 1 side was the original side and the other side were the 'overflow' or newer vendors. We had a hard time getting people to walk down the other side for several years. You need an anchor at both ends of a market, that way people will look for the anchors. You are going to have to make yourself an anchor by being noticeable and having something special each week. It will take time, several seasons. Maybe something like cheap balloons floating up higher than the other vendors canopies to give to the kids. Having someone walk around 'hawking' your booth works if your market will allow. If not, just someone walking around the rest of the market holding one of the baskets. People might ask where they got it. It will take some creative thinking and this is the best time to be doing that.

I have to think about signage, my greenhouse/house is back a 1/3 mile lane that dips where nobody from the road can see it. I was given a portable sign, now just get something cute on it.

Marla

• 2fennelshirts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Most everyone who visits a FM knows if you get there early, before the market opens, you can see what all the vendors have that day/and the prices. So, if the customer is early, they will see the Baskets (The Early Bird). I do like "This Weeks Harvest Basket". Marla, I'm guessing you meant "Weekly Harvest Basket" I like this also, not Weedly, thou sometimes that could be true. Our FM is like yours, older n new, But I picked my Spot myself, because it is an anchor, the guy on the other end wholesale/resales, the only thing he grows is pumpkins. If you start at my end, most people know "I grow what I sell!!" The side I'm on, "ALL" the vendors grow or bake their own produce/product. I have a good clientele, people know I always have something different, (even the kids know)things that the other vendors don't have. Maybe I'll pick one of my best customers (one that always comes early) to be my Basket carrier/walking billboard, give them a FREE basket to carry around, hang out/walk for a hour, very s-l-o-w-l-y.
    Deb

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

Sorry, sometimes my fingers type faster than the brain thinks. Yes, "Weekly Harvest Baskets" sounds better. Be sure the billboard person is willing to talk up the basket. They would only need to stick around til the baskets are gone, or alittle longer to tease for the next week. throw in some recipes, I just got a recipe cd from Growing for Market that has some interesting recipes.

Marla

• harvestingfilth
    12 years ago

I like this idea. This is only our second year, and I may borrow your idea and do something like this to bring our income up.

We have a vendor at our market who does a weekly "package deal" --similar idea but different. He lists about 8-10 items that they have in quantity on his chalkboard, and for a flat rate you get to pick 4 different items from the list, which ends up cheaper than if you buy them individually. LOTS of people take them up on this idea. As he sells out of an item, it gets erased from the list. I think it works especially well because they have eggs and dairy as options, so a vegetarian could walk away with enough food to make a few good meals without buying anything elsewhere.

Carrie

• little_minnie
    12 years ago

I can think of two options. 1 prepaying for a discount. Advertise that you will give $65 worth of produce for prepaid $50 and give them vouchers to use over the next weeks. I do a CSA option like that called the 100/120 program but I don't do it at market.

Baskets that are for a purpose. Sometimes when I make up Salsa Kits or Salad Kits or Stir fry kits they sell really well. It gets the customer to buy all that stuff from you and you give a discount of $1-3 on the stuff vs buying it all separately. I make cutesy signs for them too. The salsa kits always sell out. They contain a quart of salsa tomatoes, an onion, garlic, cilantro or basil, and hot peppers.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

What do you pack your "kits" in? The containers (baskets?!) could get expensive, do you just have the fiberboard quarts for the tomatoes, then add the rest of the stuff on top (so maybe not quite a full quart of tomatoes) and put saran/cello on top?

• harvestingfilth
    12 years ago

I like the "kits" idea--thanks! Wish I could pull off a salsa kit but we have had too many annual tomato misfortunes for me to get my hopes up there (I would be happy with enough tomatoes just for me, let alone to sell). But I could pull off a salad or stir fry kit. Great idea!

• myfamilysfarm
    12 years ago

If you have everything EXCEPT tomatoes, make the signage say something like 'just add tomatoes'.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus