Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtomatohead

sources for produce

MrTomatoHead
19 years ago

I plan to open a produce stand.Where can I find wholesale venders to supply produce until my crop arrives?

Comments (6)

• CorysProduce
    19 years ago

Just go up to any produce market and ask if they wholesale, if they dont just ask who supplys them.

I have a advantage getting my things early, i work at the biggest produce market on the shore, so i get my stuff from my boss for the price he payed.

Anyways, just ask around.

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Just be sure that if your produce stand is in an established market, that you check the rules.

Many markets insist that the stands sell only what they themselves grow, or that anything they purchase to sell comes from local farmers. And they will insist on inspecting your premises or your suppliers' to prove the fact.

There is nothing more disturbing than going to a farmers' market/produce stand only to find they're selling the same styrofoam tomatoes one can find at any supermarket.

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

If you want to buy from local farmers' than contact them NOW while they are still planning what to grow and see what they will sell you. Otherwise find out where the produce terminals are in Indianapolis and buy non local older produce from them.

For Indiana melons you will need to find a melon grower in the Evansville area

• adrianag
    19 years ago

Call the Tenn Department of Agriculture or your local Agricultural Extension sesrvice and ask them where the nearest wholesale farmer's market is located. That's where you will find the contacts you need. Call and ask to meet the market manager and he will orient you.

• ohiorganic
    19 years ago

Adriana,
    MrTomatohead seems to be in Indiana, not TN and the resellers I know from selling in Indiana went to the produce terminals in Indianapolis. I don't believe there is any kind of wholesaler farmers' market in the state of Indiana. Though with more and more Amish moving into the state and setting up produce farms this may have changed.

So another idea is to go to the Amish areas and ask around there if anyone wants to grow for you. I know at least one young Amish guy, last name of King, married one of the Lapp girls, in Williamsburg, IN that grows produce for the whole sale market.

• ddunbar
    19 years ago

Don't know how far south you are, but there's a huge produce auction (I believe ran by the Amish) out of Rockville, IN. Sorry, I no longer have the contact info on it. BUT, if you call the Rockville Chamber of Commerce, I'm sure they would be happy to give you the info.
    Good luck!
    DD