Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggievicki

If you had a big pile of sawmill lumber what would you do with it

veggievicki
11 years ago

I finished tearing down an old horse stable that was on the property we bought. Now I have several piles of lumber. It's mostly 2x4s, rough cut at sawmill. Mostly ten and twelve footers, but also some poles, 4x4 posts, odds and ends. Is there anything useful enough to make it worth pulling the nails? Some days i think the best thing to do is set a match to it.

Comments (6)

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

Cut it to length and build a shed. You always need another shed. We've used all kinds of used lumber for LOTS of things. Good thing about used lumber, the only expense you have is the labor.

Yes, pull the nails out of it. The rotted lumber use in bonfire. Otherwise you can build tables or lots of things.

Bad thing about old lumber, some of it can be hard as nails.

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

Old barn wood is popular for a lot of re-uses making decorative items, like picture frames and bed headboards. I'm seeing it on craigslist for $1 per board-foot. You might not get that much, but somebody will pay something.

• veggievicki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cole, I actually made a ceiling out of part of it. Turned out nice. The PO had a bit of a tack room in one end, painted white. We closed in part of th car port on the house that was on the property and I used the distressed wood, some old doors, and a few old windows and made a ceiling out of it. Put some of the horse shoes up, and little bits of tack. When you look up at the ceiling it's kind of like looking at the outside of an old farm house. Turned out pretty cool. I get lots of compliments. I've saved out all the nice wide pieces for little projects. I'm down to pretty much framing lumber. These are good suggestions. I definitely plan on at least one chicken tractor.

• dirtdigging101
    11 years ago

This is so east, I would have my children pound and pull out all the nails and neatly stack the wood. Then the kids could straighten all the nails so they can be reused. That is what my dad did. he had six of us , one every 4 to 5 years for a steady supply of labor.

• myfamilysfarm
    11 years ago

We still do the 'training' of our kids by cleaning the boards. Straightening the nails are more for their fun. They get to use the crooked nails and too small boards for their 'building' projects.

With more framing lumber I would have more tables in the hoophouse. 4-4x4s, 2-2x4x8s, and 2-2x4x4s, plus 1 sheet of plywood and you got a table. I take 2 tables, put them 8' apart. I hang rafter hangers (4) on ends of tables facing each other. Then I put 2x4x8s in the hangers and add another sheet of plywood. Of course, none of this needs to be new or fancy.

• trisha_51
    11 years ago

Build raised beds! And a fence for running the cattle, and a new chicken coop. :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES