Return to the Market Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bell peppers

Posted by Blueflint z6a OH (blueflint@lycos.com) on
Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 22:09

Looking for pepper recommendations for market growing. Specifically looking for large stuffing bell varieties, open pollinated only (no hybrids or GMO), hearty plants with good production numbers, from green to yellow to orange and red varieties. First hand growing experience from anyone is better than picking one from a picture in a catalog. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bell peppers

King Of The North is my favorite.

I like Purple Beauty but it's small. It turns from green to purple to bright red.

I like Staddon's but it doesn't always produce well here because of our weather.

Certain strains of Chocolate are excellent. I get mine from Fedco because I can count on the strain they offer to produce well.

o
RE: bell peppers

I really find that hybrids do best. Great luck with Fat& sassy for a red bell, and great with golden summer for a yellow. This season I tried my first purple bell, used 'Tequila'(starts out purple, then ripens orange-red), and they were a customer stopper on the table. In a mixture with yellow and red, had great sales.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Market Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here