Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evertonacres

First Year Market Herb Growing

EvertonAcres
10 years ago

Hello everyone! I have lurked for a couple years but this is my first post.
For the past 5 years my husband and I have built up our garden to 15 hundred sq/ft beds. Half are double dug to 3 feet and the others were started by chicken tractor and have never been tilled. We have focused on growing as much of our own food as possible.
In the past 6 months I have started selling spices and dried herbs to local restaurants. I have about 60 customers that I see on a regular basis. As I have gotten to know the chefs, many have inquired about fresh herbs. This opportunity intrigued me because I already travel to these places on a weekly basis so I won't have to go out of my way to make sales. My plan now is to have a section of the van designated to fresh and specialty products to help chefs come up with nightly specials.
In the garden I'm planing to the usual basil, cilantro, thyme, oregano, with mix of medicinal herbs and flowers for 10 beds.
I have not yet decided how I will lay them out in the garden or how I will store them before I sell them. I know there're many other things that I have not yet thought through. I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions from you!
:)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County